York students to launch mobile phone application

University of York students have been showing their technical prowess by moving into the world of mobile phone apps. The newly formed company, Divisi, will be launching their first app within a month, bringing York residents deals at bars and clubs to their mobile phones.

A different group – Team Banter – has also defeated competition to win the York prize for best concept app.

The website and phone app company, Divisi, is putting the finishing touches on its first app ‘Eventzu’. This software will allow students to see what deals bars and clubs have on, special events and even get special discounts when you show your phone at the bar.
The app could replace scouring Facebook pages and websites to see what club has the best prices or events that night.

​The co-founders, Mark-Ross Smith and Sam Rowley, both did placements with software development companies giving them the skills to step out into making their own business.

​The idea struck them after enduring nights out where they walked from club to club because there were no events but still long queues.
Divisi aims to make this a thing of the past. Rowley claims “Eventzu allows you to plan your night, see what’s really popular.”
​The app will be free for customers to download and use, allowing for no added expense in making nights out easier. The company’s chief software designer said that the app may expand into other events like cinemas and theatres.

​Another group of University of York students recently snatched the York Prize to have their concept app ‘Photo Diary’ developed and produced for mobiles by digital marketing agency, The Distance. This app will allow users to create a mobile diary using photographs taken on their smartphone.

​Team Banter beat six other teams in the York competition when they pitched to a panel of software experts their idea. The software experts on the panel judging the ideas consisted of senior Microsoft officials and the chief of Revolution – the software company that develops mobile games such as Broken Sword.