Further delays for new YUSU Student Centre

The completion of the new YUSU Student Centre, which is currently under construction in James College has once again been delayed until mid – March of this year

Andy Davis

Andy Davis

THE COMPLETION of the new YUSU Student Centre, which is currently under construction in James College has once again been delayed until mid – March of this year.

Originally, the centre, which will house the YUSU Sabbatical Officers, reception, and assorted meeting rooms was due to be opened at the start of the Autumn term 2011, but the completion of the project was put back until after Christmas.

The University has confirmed that the scheme to create a new YUSU centre is progressing, despite encountering “ a number of unforeseen issues,” which has meant an adjustment in the completion date.

A University spokesperson added that builders have: “Carried out a substantial piece of work to re-align a gas main in the building footprint and a number of other structural works have been required to the YUSU building.”

“I feel like it’s been going on forever,” he said, “It’s annoying for students because the image given to newcomers is not very welcoming.”

Andreas Boedt

The five Sabbatical Officers have been temporarily placed in offices above the James Upper JCR while the building work is carried out, but concerns have been raised over the lack of a centralised presence of YUSU, especially after such a long delay in the completion of the building.

As stated in one of the YUSU Sabbatical pledges of 2011, the aim of the construction is to ensure “your elected representatives are making you aware of what we’re doing.” Tim Ngwena, former YUSU president said the building would make it “easier [for students] to see their officers both part time and full time.”

The refurbishment will provide a new students’ union reception and new student social areas. The project, along with the building of the new YUSU bar, The Lounge in the Roger Kirk Centre, is part of the University’s “investment in a 21st Century Campus.”

Changes to the JB Morrell Library and the Harry Fairhurst building, also part of the University’s “investment in a 21st Century Campus,” are set to be completed in March 2012 along with the Student Centre.

Andreas Boedt, a first-year Sociology student from James College, walks past the construction area every day, and says it’s not a pleasant sight.

But Tim Ellis, YUSU President, confirmed that “the building, when eventually completed, will stretch on to the the unloading bay and occupy the space that formerly belonged to the college bar Mc Q’s.”

Last year it had been suggested that the building would be ready in time for the start of the 2011/12 academic year, but this was later revised to the start of 2012 and now not until the end of Spring Term.