University of York to award honorary degrees

The University will award four honorary doctorates this week to leading figures in health, medicine, and journalism

Image credit: George Lowther

Image credit: George Lowther

The University will award four honorary doctorates this week to ‘three leading figures in health and medicine, and an international award-winning journalist’ in recognition of their contributions to society.

Dr Thomas Brewer, Professor Dame Sally Davies, and Sir Mark Walport respectively, will receive honorary doctorates in recognition of their extensive contributions to the fields of health and medicine.

Dr Thomas Brewer recently supported the University of York’s proposal ‘to improve the supply of a key anti-malarialdrug through molecular breeding.’ The support helped culminate in funding for further research by the University.

Lyse Doucet, a BBC presenter and correspondent, will receive an honorary doctorate in recognition of her work within the field of journalism. Doucet recently reported extensively on the developments of the ‘Arab Spring’.

The honours will be presented at the University’s graduation ceremonies on the 20th and 21st January.

Honorary degrees are given based on nominations by the University.

1. I think the key bit here is “The support helped culminate in funding for further research by the University.”