Ultimate tournament sees YOpen retain their crown

Local side YOpen retained their title as the University of York once again hosted an enjoyable Ultimate tournament this weekend.

The event, which takes place annually and this year attracted over 20 teams from across the country, ended with last year’s winners defeating another York-based side, in the form of the modestly titled Some Team, to claim victory after a weekend of hotly contested action.

The University were able to field five teams this year, three in the open division and two in the first ever women’s division.

York’s men’s firsts finished in a very respectable fifth place in the 16-team league, after overcoming See That in their final game of the tournament.

Captain Enrique Solores was in positive mood as he reflected on the competition: “It was a really fantastic weekend.

“This is a really spirited game and we invite some really good teams – it was fantastic and everyone had a really amazing time.”

There was less success for the seconds and thirds, however, as they finished 14th and 16th respectively, with the seconds coming out on top as the two sides met on Sunday.

The women’s side, captained by Lola Denham, finished third in their division as well as claiming the Spirit award, with the seconds finishing bottom.

Denham was understandably proud of her side’s performance, saying, “This is the first time we’ve had a women’s division and we’re very proud to have put two teams in.

“We got a lot of teams here from across the country and it was a lot of fun.

“The Frisbee community is now a lot more varied, and hopefully next year we can have a bigger women’s division and keep the tournament growing.”

Club President Rachel McCulloch was also delighted with the event and the showing from all the York teams: “It’s gone really well, run smoothly and the competitions been good but friendly, so I hope everyone’s had a good time.

“The guys did really well; I’m so impressed with them. York 3 was made up of mostly beginners so it’s been a great experience for them.

“And the girls as well, they improved so much over the weekend.

“The great advantage of holding the competition here that we can get so many of our guys playing.”

The club is now hoping to host a larger outdoor event in March that will serve as a qualifier for the BUCS National Championships, after being unable to organise it last year.

McCulloch said, “It’d be really good if we could host it. We tried to do it last year and we couldn’t get the pitches but hopefully this year it will happen.”

Tournament Results

Open Division
1. YOpen
2. Some Team
3. Dazed and Confused
4. Randoms
5. York ‘I Need a Better Name’ 1
6. See That
7. What the Hull
8. Fish 2
9. Fish 1
10. Some Other Team
11. See This
12. EEEU
13. Lincoln
14. York ‘Fris-team-a Aguilera’ 2
15. Manor School
16. York 3

Women’s Division
1. Some Girls
2. Pies
3. York 1
4. Nottingham Trent
5. Fish
6. York 2