Network services restored after Berrick Saul flood

Most York networks have been restored after the data centre in the Berrick Saul building was flooded

Image credit: itspaulkelly

Image credit: itspaulkelly

Most network services have been repaired after flooding in the Berrick Saul Building last night disrupted York websites.

Services such as Webmail and the “Web of Science” website, accessed via MetaLib were still down this morning.

IT Services said on twitter yesterday: “There’s an issue with flooding. IT Services staff have come in on their day off to try and resolve things as soon as possible.”

The VLE and e:Vision websites were out of action from 8pm following a flood in the data centre. Some students reported problems in loaning books out of the library on the eve of a week with essay deadlines and exams.

Last month a four hour power cut on campus caused disruption to York websites after a digger had cut through the power cable.

A University spokesperson commented: “A problem with one of our data centres yesterday evening meant that a number of major services had to be taken out of action. Systems including filestore, VLE and e:Vision were unavailable from 20:00 hrs. Most services were restored by 23:00 hrs.

“We are still working to resolve a number of issues, and some users may still be experiencing problems with Webmail and IDM (the identity management system).”

Update: The University have confirmed that “all affected services are now up and running normally.”