Workmen uncover bomb on Hull Road

Police closed part of Hull Road on Monday after workmen at a building site for new student accommodation discovered a bomb that is thought to be from WWII

Images: Andy Davis

Police cordoned off part of Hull Road today after the discovery of an old WWII bomb on a building site.

Residents on Hull Road had been urged to remain indoors after the explosive device was discovered during building works at a new student accommodation. However Police later said that there had been no possibility of detonation.

Workmen at the building site uncovered the device earlier this morning and alerted police at 1pm this afternoon. The police then called for an Army bomb disposal unit which arrived on the scene at 2.40pm.

The Police closed part of Hull Road, from the Shell garage towards town, for two hours until the bomb disposal team took the device away at 3.15pm and safely disposed of it. Police believe the item to have been a naval shell.

The building site is part of a UniLiving Ltd project to turn the old dairy site into a block of flats for 323 students.

1. Hey great article! How did you find out it was from World War 2 though?

2. We will fight them on the beaches, we will fight them next to the fish and chip shops…

3. Hey – wasn’t that the new site proposed for Heslington East?

4. Oooo I used to live in the flats right next to there, scary!!! Where there’s one there could be more