The Twelve Days of Sobriety

What to do with all that leftover festive booze? We’ve come up with recipes that’ll use it up for the twelve days after Christmas

Christmas is a cruel mistress. Forcing us to eat, drink and be merry in quantities we never thought possible, she then unceremoniously abandons us to deal with our abused, fragile bodies alone. Waking up in the post-Christmas period with a pounding headache, mouth dryer than the Sahara and overwhelming feelings of shame and regret, swearing off alcohol is an inevitable consequence of the yearly festivities. So, to help you get rid of all that leftover Christmas booze, we’ve come up with recipes for the twelve days (or one, or two…) after Christmas when you just can’t face the drink. Feel free to sing along.

On the first day of sobriety, my hangover gave to me…

A steak and ale pie. Never more resolute to lead a life of sobriety, nothing beats a hearty, comforting pie on the first post-excess day. If you’ve woken up with the taste of stale beer on your tongue, this one provides the perfect opportunity to put any unwanted leftovers to good use.

On the second day of sobriety, my hangover gave to me…

Two sherry trifles. If Santa didn’t manage to see off the sherry, stick it in these puddings. Delia’s indulgent ingredients are guaranteed to make those dark post-Christmas days that little bit easier to bear.

On the third day of sobriety, my hangover gave to me…

Three hams with cider. One of my favourite things about Christmas has always been the home cooked ham. If the thought of cider still makes your stomach groan, use it to make this – you can always cut up and freeze any leftovers.

On the fourth day of sobriety, my hangover gave to me…

Four mulled wine sorbets. Mulled wine. Delicious, but almost always the ‘good thing’ there’s too much of. These sorbets are a tasty way of ensuring that any leftover juice can be stored and reused when the aversion to all things warm and alcoholic.

On the fifth day of sobriety, my hangover gave to me…

Five risottos. Risottos might be famed for their difficulty, but I think they’re an easy and versatile dish, and a good way of getting rid of any slight-past-it white wine. I’ve included a basic recipe here, to which you can add anything you’ve got lying around.

On the sixth day of sobriety, my hangover gave to me…

Six vodka pastas. Spaghetti alla vodka is surprisingly popular and shockingly delicious, and the perfect way to avoid having to finish off another bottle of the demon drink. This recipe’s great if you fancy something with a bit of a kick for dinner.

On the seventh day of sobriety, my hangover gave to me…

Seven bowls of custard. In my opinion Amaretto is delicious enough to drink even when hungover, but if you still can’t stomach it, you can follow this recipe to add a bit of a twist to your custard.

On the eighth day of sobriety, my hangover gave to me…

Eight truffle tortes. In my experience, drinking rum is not generally conducive to having any left over the next morning. However, just in case some does escape the general carnage, give this truffle torte a try.

On the ninth day of sobriety, my hangover gave to me…

Nine tequila prawns. I’ve put the tequila recipe fairly late on in the list, as by now you’ll be able to open the bottle without vomiting. Fingers crossed. This dish makes an excellent starter if you’re trying to impress, and also makes a main course served with rice.

On the tenth day of sobriety, my hangover gave to me…

Ten bourbon sauces. I’m sure we’ve all seen menus including a classic glaze/sauce/marinade based around bourbon, and this recipe shows how easy it is to make. Try it with spare ribs or chicken thighs.

On the eleventh day of sobriety, my hangover gave to me…

Eleven moules mariniere. OK. I think we’re ready for seafood. The idea of students cooking mussels might seem a little incongruous, but actually mussels are fairly cheap and easy to cook. This is a good way to turn cheap or old white wine into a sophisticated and impressive dish.

On the twelfth day of sobriety, my hangover gave to me…

Twelve Sambuca… Nope, can’t help you there. Sambuca is the devil and I don’t know why you bought it in the first place. You’ll just have to drink it. And you have no-one but yourself to blame.

Happy hangovers!