Women’s firsts fall to Newcastle defeat

UNIVERISTY OF YORK FIRSTS 1-2 NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY SECONDS
BUCS Northern Conference 3B

Images: Agatha Torrance

Two first half goals from Newcastle’s seconds team were enough to see off a hard working York side today, who probably deserved more on the balance of play.

Despite dominating possession for large periods, York were unable to make this pressure pay dividends, and will be disappointed at an opportunity lost to perhaps gain the win.

The match started as a scrappy affair, hampered by driving rain and swirling winds.

This was reflected by the nature of the first goal, which could have easily fallen to either side.

Unfortunately for York, it was Newcastle who grabbed an early lead.

The ball pinged around the York D, before a lucky Newcastle stick was able to divert weakly into the far corner.

York responded to this deficit with a chance of their own.

Rachael Faustino displayed some silky dribbling skills, working her way up the right wing before firing hard and low from by-line.

Newcastle were somehow able to clear the ball off the line, but Laura Welsing’s resulting reverse sweep was nearly converted, missing the post by inches.

However, after more congested play in the middle of the park, Newcastle were able to double their lead with a clinical finish.

After a penalty corner, ball found player wide in the area, who impressively finished from the narrowest of angles.

York responded rapidly, finally scoring their own deserved goal.

A textbook routine from a penalty corner led to Imi Storm slapping a thunderbolt into the far corner of the net, leaving the Newcastle keeper with no chance.

The second half stuttered into life, the flow of the match hampered by an early ankle injury to a Newcastle player.

The story of the half featured York enjoying large spells of possession, but being repelled at every genuine attacking chance.

It was the impressive Laura Welsing that created the most York chances with her audacious play.

She carved a path through the Newcastle defence, before screwing her shot wide.

Welsing then forced a superb save from the Newcastle keeper, smashing in a shot on goal after a penalty corner that the keeper incredibly blocked with her body.

After York keeper Porter palmed away a rare attempt from the Tynesiders, Welsing again looked to write the script herself.

In the dying minutes, Welsing showed incredible stick control and poise in a storming run that saw her dribble round the entire Newcastle defence before finding herself in the area.

She fired a hard ball across the face of goal, but the onrushing York attacker was agonisingly unable to divert.

At the final whistle, Hannah Gage was understandably upset that her side was unable to get more from the game.

“I’m really disappointed. We worked really hard, but we just couldn’t get the goal we needed. We’ll come back after Christmas stronger,” said the York captain.