Wasteful men’s thirds made to pay by Leeds Met

UNIVERSITY OF YORK THIRDS 2-3 LEEDS METROPOLITAN CARNEGIE FOURTHS
BUCS Northern Conference 7B

Images: Agatha Torrance

Two quick-fire second half goals condemned the men’s hockey thirds to a 3-2 defeat to Leeds Met Carnegie on the JLD today.

York had taken the lead early on and dominated the play for long periods, but an inability to take their chances meant that they left empty-handed.

The home side started brightly, with Phil Blackburn forcing a good save from the Leeds Met keeper within the first two minutes, and they took the lead soon after.

After Steven Priest exchanged passes with Danny Williams and saw his shot saved, Joe Lancaster tapped in from close range to open the scoring.

The visitors had the chance to equalise immediately but some undue hesitation allowed York captain Jon Waghorne to get back and clear, before Lancaster and Blackburn were both denied at the other end.

York then earned themselves a penalty corner after good work by Williams and Declan Hall, though Williams took too long to get his shot away and the chance went begging – something that was to become a familiar feature of York’s play.

Just before the break, Leeds Met were given a short corner of their own and equalised against the run of play, bundling the ball over the line after the initial effort was deflected, meaning the two sides went in level at the break.

The second half began with a series of wasted penalty corners from both sides.

Williams saw one shot saved by the keeper and scuffed a second straight at him, before the away side squandered their own chance.

But the pick of the bunch was York’s third short corner, as they tried to pass their way through the Leeds Met defence but were unable to get the ball under control.

And five minutes later they were made to pay for their profligacy, as Leeds Met produced a goal out of nothing, and then doubled their lead just a minute later with the York defence in disarray.

The White Rose could count themselves unlucky to find themselves two goals behind, and went on the offensive in hope of salvaging a point.

With ten minutes to play, the home side were handed a lifeline as Williams finally found his range from a short corner, flicking a beautiful effort into the top corner to make it 3-2.

Chances were few and far between in the final stages, but with only seconds remaining York were given another penalty corner.

In keeping with the rest of the match, however, the chance was wasted as the final touch of the ball saw Waghorne’s pass fly past the attackers, sealing victory for Leeds Met.

At full-time York skipper Waghorne felt his side were hard done by, saying, “It was a really enjoyable game between two evenly matched sides. We missed a few chances and I think a draw would have been a fair result, but you have to say fair played to Leeds Met.”

York: Ward, Fleming, Randall, Patel, Waghorne (C), Munns, Butters, Blackburn, Lancaster, Priest, Williams, Hall, Ferguson