Successful first term for University of York Boat Club

The senior men's first IV at York Small Boats

This term has seen the University of York boat club take part in a number of competitions and achieve extremely positive results.

Across all the different events York have exceeded expectations and can be very proud of their performances.

The first race for UYBC was on held on Sunday 20th November in the Annual York Small Boats event. On a grey and misty morning the first and second coxed men’s fours achieved some notable results.

The first four, consisting of captain Sam Agass, second year Edward Scobie, freshers Matt Bowman and Tom Eames along with cox Eden Sparke posted the fourth quickest time of the day. They won their respective boat class by a resounding margin of 21.7 seconds over the 3 kilometre course with a time of 10:46.2.

The second four, which consisted of Richard Nixon, Paul Lloyd, Matt Harris, Will Fane-Gladwin and cox Alice Farley, recorded the second fastest coxed four time of the day finishing twelfth with a time of 11:07.9. This included defeating the impressive University of Leeds by 3.5 seconds.

All of the other crews performed admirably, posting some very impressive results.

In the women’s coxed fours York finished in third place in both their divisions. The fastest time of 13.27 seconds was achieved by Anna Lavelle, Pippa Maloney, Catherine Oliver and Laura MacFarlane who were coxed by Ellie Cooper.

On the 27th November York travelled to Hull to compete in the Yorkshire region BUCS indoor rowing championship. This was a race over two kilometres on rowing machines, testing the physical and mental capacity of the competitors to the maximum. This was the first opportunity for the new novice men and women to see how far they had progressed since the start of term.

Again York performed well with Sam Agass finishing second amongst 79 other Heavyweight Males with a time of 6:20. The senior women’s relay team consisting of Pippa Maloney, Natasha Linyard-Tough, Eloisa Cackett and Laura MacFarlane won their relay with a time of 7:11.

Natasha Linyard-Tough also finished second in the Lightweight Women’s division with a time of 8:27, meaning all of the competing senior women left the competition with a medal of some sorts.

Overall, it has been a hugely successful term for the University of York boat club and they will look to take their good form into next term, continuing to make progress aiming to perform excellently in future competitions scheduled.