Third College announced on Heslington East

The University has opened public contract bidding for a £100 million two-building project on Heslington East campus, one building of which will provide 600 to 650 students accommodation.

This is the next phase of the University’s college plan for Heslington East, with the third college confirmed and an option in the contract for potential contractors to build a fourth should the University decide to continue the expansion project.

It will be in addition to established Goodricke college, which was the first college to officially open in Heslington east in 2010.

Elizabeth Heaps, the Pro Vice-Chancellor for Estates and Strategic Projects, commented that the University is: “preparing the way to work with a developer to build a third college on Heslington East for 2014, with the possibility for additional colleges as required.  College three and any future colleges will be brand new ones.”

The third college will join New Langwith which is scheduled to move over at the start of the academic year 2012. The college will be modelled on Goodricke and Langwith College and will be ready to open in 2014. This is part of a much wider expansion of 160 acres costing around £750 million, continuing the aim to fulfil the University’s promise of a “21st century campus”.