Langwith JCRC Hustings

Langwith JCRC Hustings took place on Tuesday evening at the Courtyard, The buzzing atmosphere of the crowd coupled with audience participation during the speeches made for a lively evening with great college spirit

Langwith JCRC Hustings took place on Tuesday evening at the Courtyard. The buzzing atmosphere of the crowd coupled with audience participation during the speeches made for a lively evening with great college spirit.

One of the main themes of the evening was Langwith College’s move to Heslington East next year, which will mean a challenging job for the JCRC currently being elected with regards to settling into the new site and maintaining college identity and spirit. Many of the candidate’s aims lay with creating good relationships with Goodricke College, which is also situated in Heslington East.

Running for Chair of the JCRC this year was unopposed candidate Jack Baker, who gave a five minute long speech outlining his aims and hopes for the coming year. He emphasised how important a smooth transition over to Heslington East would be for the college, asserting that it would be, “one of the most important things the JCR will have to do”. His other hopes included providing more equipment for the new Heslington East bar and improving the quality of sports within Langwith, along with proving ‘Sports Fun Days’ for students who don’t necessarily want to play sports competitively. He ended his speech with, “I love Langwith. I’d really like a chance to be part of something that is close to my heart. If you vote for me, you won’t be disappointed”, leaving the stage to a raucous chant of “there’s only one Jack Baker” from the crowd.

Other candidates for positions gave three minute long speeches outlining their particular aims for the year. Some of the ideas which were best received included the keeping of the ‘Corner Room’ for use by Langwith students after the move of the college to Heslington East, financial provision for the college ‘Langaroo’ and the distribution of the extra funding of £300 per term available for college sports, double the budget of last year.

Voting opens on Wednesday 7th at 12pm and ends on Monday 12th at 10am.
The results will be announced on Monday evening at Langwith’s Christmas ball.

Positions and Candidates:

Chair
Jack Baker

Vice-Chair

Jason Brandwood

Craig Burnell

Secretary

Marinus Maris

Treasurer

Keiran Douglas

Timothy Seah

Welfare Officer(s)

Lauren Bray, Jordan Lloyd
Jess Lambert, Chris Maul

Campaigns Officer(s)

Luke Holbrook, Oliver Williamson

Entertainments Officer(s)

Katie Bishop, Johanna Child, Bethany Leslie, Sofie-Eliza Price
Sam Dower, Tom Flaherty, Matthew Jones, Dan Strong
Louise Jones

Bar Officer(s)

Ollie Craven, Ewan Dennis, Ed Kent, Joel Shenton

Sports Officer(s)

Cassandra Brown, Andy Hutt, Jess Paisley, Sam Morley

Merchandise Officer(s)

Lee Cook, Sam Prime

Environment and Ethics Officer

Ellie Hendy

Volunteering Officers

Katherine Hignett, Sophie York

Web Officer(s)

Tom Bourne

Equipment Officer(s)

Joe Rees-Jones

Off-Campus Officer(s)

Rowan Austin, Peter Hollingsworth
Jason Brandwood, Elliot Weatherall

International Officer(s)

Alicja Heisig
Agata Lach
Diederik van Wersch

Ordinary Member(s)

Genny Dimoline
Amy White