Dominant display seals win for Halifax

HALIFAX 58-26 GOODRICKE

Images: Agatha Torrance

Halifax secured an emphatic 58 – 26 win over Goodricke on Sunday, thanks to an utterly dominant first half display of attacking rugby.

Goodricke improved and fought back in a much more even second half but the result was put beyond any doubt before the break.

Halifax started much the better and immediately placed Goodricke under enormous pressure that they weren’t prepared for.

Rucking over well, Jack Stanley secured the first try within minutes, going on to cooly take the conversion himself.

Goodricke were taken aback by the fast start and failed to make their tackles count and conceded an early penalty, again scored by Halifax stalwart Stanley, putting Halifax ten points up in as many minutes.

Halifax continued their dominance; exploiting Goodricke’s weaker forwards, and when Goodricke did have possession they failed to provide adequate support to the man in possession.

A line-out near the Goodricke try line saw the ball arc into the waiting arms of Stanley, who offloaded to Alex Cook, allowing him to drive through the Goodricke backs to put his side 15-0 up.

But there were signs of Goodricke potential as the half went on with Nick Abbatt impressing and proving that the Halifax backs could be broken.

However, any moments of resistance were short lived, with further Halifax tries powered home by Charlie Allsop, Tom Giles and Jake Baldwin; the latter thanks to a brilliant assist from Alex Hann.

Stanley wasted no time in converting all but one of the tries as Halifax raced into an unassailable 36-0 lead just before the break.

But Goodricke finally had something to celebrate when Jamie Kelly stormed round the outside of the Halifax back-line to score.

Kelly continued the spirited Goodricke fight-back early in the second-half racking up another try and conversion.

Abbatt then broke down the Halifax right flank before offloading to Kelly to give him his hat-trick.

Kelly, Goodricke’s saving grace, made the conversion, tallying 19 points for him and his side.

The second half saw Halifax’s original dominance crumble, but the men in blue still managed to run home tries through Giles, Allsop, and Stanley, securing a deserved hat-trick.

Affairs were not one sided though, with Harry Clementson coming on to score a try, closing the gap to 51-24.

But Halifax’s Alex Cook, drove the final nail into the Goodricke coffin, with the game finishing 58-26.

Halifax captain Ben Cook said: “It was much better than our last game. We had a great first half, but they made us pay in the second. It was a shame to concede, but they deserved points on the board.”