Derwent storm past Alcuin in college rugby

DERWENT 49-0 ALCUIN

Images: Agatha Torrance

Derwent made it five wins out of five with a clinical 49-0 annihilation of Alcuin, securing their position at the top of the league table.

The manner of their victory was just as impressive as the score line and they will be looking to stake their claim as college rugby’s strongest side in next term’s play-offs.

Despite gutsy resistance from Alcuin, Derwent rarely looked troubled as their disciplined and pacey play recorded try after try.

Right from the start, Derwent put their opponents under the cosh, but Alcuin’s defence remained resolute, forcing numerous 5-metre scrums.

But the resistance was soon breached, as Derwent captain Tolga Necar ripped the ball from Alcuin hands, diving across the line to give his side a deserved lead.

After a successful conversion, Derwent scored a superb second try when some textbook passing gave centre Dominic Munns space to run.

He carved through the Alcuin line, and, despite being tackled, was able to pass to the on-rushing Hugo Marino, who slid over.

Derwent’s well-organised defence stifled any possession that Alcuin enjoyed, and it was little surprise that they soon added a third before the end of the half.

The ball found Jamie Criswell in space on the wing, who powered away to the line unopposed.

The second half brought more Derwent dominance, with Phil Hammick scoring a typical winger’s try, zipping over the line after a 30 yard dash.

Hammick soon got his second and Derwent’s fifth, latching onto a well-judged grubber kick, racking up more points despite heavy Alcuin pressure.

After a Hammick penalty, Munns scored his second after some excellent play from Derwent’s backs.

The next try was courtesy of the forwards with a strong scrum leading to Alex Cochrane-Dyet being able to collected from the flank and power over for the try.

And Derwent completed the rout with their eighth try when Hammick, completing a second half hat-trick, scored after a rapid counter attack.

Derwent’s skipper Tolga Necar was delighted with his side’s sensational season: “The boys have done themselves and Derwent proud. I can’t express how happy and proud I am of them.”

Alcuin captain Muzzy Foley graciously conceded the result was deserved. “I’m not going to make any excuses. We were outclassed, and we lost to a better team.”