Contractors leaving housing problems untouched

Students have been dissatisfied with the length of time repairs are taking Image credit: Philippta Grafton

Students in Halifax and Derwent continue to face problems with the standard of their accommodation as University contractors fail to deliver repairs on time.

While the floods in Derwent reported in the last edition of Nouse are still ongoing, Halifax are also experiencing continuing problems with plumbing and showers. Many students have been left questioning the value for money of their accommodation, and whether they are being properly looked after.

Bob Hughes, YUSU Welfare Officer, revealed he was “worried at the length of time some of the repairs seem to be taking” adding that he, “will be pursuing this further with the staff who oversee the various areas of campus accommodation.”

Students in Derwent and Halifax pay up to £138 and £118 respectively per week – some of the most expensive accommodation on campus. However, these colleges have been the most frequently affected by recurring problems this year. This has led to numerous accounts of broken showers, boilers, and heating, as well as frequent flooding, in Derwent especially. In the last week alone, both colleges experienced flooding, causing extensive damage.

James Pemble, first-year Derwent D Block, was one of the worst hit, with many of his personal belongings getting damaged or broken as a result.

“We’re all convinced it couldn’t possibly have taken that long to ‘wait for a part’; it just feels like they don’t care”

Tom Williams, House C resident

According to James, the University “didn’t seem interested and didn’t offer compensation”, leaving him feeling “very annoyed”, given the price of his accommodation fees.

A first-year student from Vanbrugh, who wished to remain anonymous, claimed: “We’re paying good money for this accommodation; I feel for the people who’ve had problems because it’s so much hassle on top of normal university stress.”

In Halifax, at least two houses’ boilers have broken, causing not only extensive water damage, but also much anxiety for those affected.

Due to problems with broken heating and showers Younger Court House D was left without a shower for over a month, while House C had no heating for the first three weeks of term.

One resident from House D stated: “We kept telling the porters about our broken shower, but they just told us it hadn’t been reported properly. Then they told us that a new shower tray had been ordered and would be with us “between two and three days”. A week later we had nothing.”

The students told Davedass Mootanah, the Halifax College President, and the Facilities Manager, but nothing was done for over five weeks.
The student added; “We’re all convinced it couldn’t possibly have taken that long to ‘wait for a part’; it just feels like they don’t care.”

However, House C are still experiencing problems with their boiler, although the initial leak was fixed almost immediately.

Resident Tom Williams said: “Estates told us that the boiler hadn’t been fitted properly” Williams stated that the hot water, heating, and electricity had been problematic since the flood.

“We reported it to the porters, but they didn’t seem to care. Someone came round about an hour later and fixed it, thankfully; although the porters reported the matter straight away, they gave the impression that it wasn’t important to them.”