£2m to be spent on improving the student experience

The University has released a £2m package of measures it hopes will improve the student experience at York, as tuition fees rise to £9,000 from next year

Image credit: CARLOS62

Image credit: CARLOS62

The University has announced a £2m bundle of measures to try and improve the student experience at York for the start of October 2012.

Among the initiatives is a commitment from the University to have “night-time staffing in all eight colleges” and to spend £100,000 on expanding the trial of digitally recording lectures.

There will also be: an increased spend on improving the Staff-Student ratio; the abolition of the cost to participate in college sport; and giving York Sport greater funds to spend on the coaching of sports clubs.

A proposal to build an International Study Centre for York students was also included. This would allow York students to study for four to six weeks in the summer abroad, but confirmation of the county, or countries, this would be placed in will not be released until February at the earliest.

Jane Grenville, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for students, said that she was, “very pleased about additional spending on: sport; reducing the staff-to-student ratio; and on a bundle of key texts and reading resources.”

She added that this will be a “recurrent spend” over the next few years.

The measures come as the University is set to receive the first cohort of students from October 2012 paying £9,000 in tuition, a threefold increase on the current level of fees.

Nouse reported earlier this year that the University was thinking about purchasing laptops for every first year student, however this was dropped after consultation with YUSU.

Tim Ellis, YUSU President, commented that while the measurers were “extremely welcome”, he warned the University against complacency.

“The University’s commitments to improving the experience students’ have here at York is extremely welcome. A lot of the measures and investments that have been outlined are much needed and will be much appreciated. However, it is vital that we do not stop here.

“The University needs to stick to its commitment of spending additional fee income on those things that directly affect students, and must not become complacent after these initial moves.”

The University’s £2m package of measures in full:

– 24-hour opening of the Library
– A bundle of key texts and reading resources for incoming undergraduate students
– Additional spend on key texts for all students
– Continuation of the Maths Support Centre
– Digital recording of lectures
– Additional spend on refurbishing teaching spaces
– Additional academic staff to reduce Student-Staff Ratios
– Additional spend on postgraduates who teach
– Increased spending on student internships to support the employability agenda
– Abolition of charges for participation in college sport
– Additional spend on coaching of sports clubs through York Sport
– Night-time staffing in all eight colleges
– Additional staffing in the Open Door team
– Funding of an International Study Centre for York students

1. This sounds like fantastic news.

Texas Forever.

2. 7 Dec ’11 at 6:48 pm

William Chun

Will they buy me a new lacrosse stick?

3. Some excellent ideas in that list, especially they key texts and internships. Not sure the 24 hour staffing will last, in view of events in recent years… and especially in the context of your other main story.