York swimmers perform admirably in BUCS Team Championships

Image: Peter Iveson

Image: Peter Iveson

In the annual BUCS swimming team championships, the University of York once again performed remarkably, with the first team ending just nine points from earning a second successive promotion.

They finished with 259 points taking seventh place overall, absolutely trouncing arch rivals Lancaster who finished thirteenth and will therefore be demoted.

Equally as impressive were the second team who finished in eighth position with 245 points, replicating what the first team achieved two years ago in beating Varsity rivals Hull and York St. John in the process.

A whole host of club records were broken in a day of excitement for the swimming team.

Perhaps the most significant performances came from Toby Wong who set a new club record of 24.14 seconds for the 50 metres front crawl winning his race impressively.

In addition to this, he set a club record time of 54.33 seconds for the 100 metres front crawl finishing in sixth.

In the front crawl relay Wong set a new record for the fastest ever relay split with an unbelievable time of 23.79 seconds.

Alongside colleagues Jon Beardsley, Jacob Shaw and Tomek Dobrzycki they finished in sixth place.

There were many other notable performances including Alice Cary in the 200 metres front crawl, finishing second in a record time of 2:10.49.

Cary also finished second in 50 metres fly and narrowly missed out on a second club record.

Louise Highton was another who performed remarkably finishing third in the 100 metres front crawl and narrowly missing out on a club record with a time of 1:01.58.

However, she did set a club record alongside Eloise Man, Kim Briscoe and Alice Cary in the front crawl relay with a time of 1:56.13.

The final club record was set in the relay medley, while Michael Tansini and Tomek Dobrzycki were extremely close to setting new records in the 100 metres fly and 200 metres front crawl respectively.

With these great performances from the swimming club men’s captain Chris Unsworth proclaimed; “I am absolutely blown away with what the team achieved today. To nearly get promoted to the top division after only being promoted last year is absolutely incredible.”

He also praised the “amazing new group of freshers that have come into the club.”

Similarly UYSW President, Cesca Baguley stated that “getting to beat Lancaster in such a big way is obviously a great achievement and the club is going from strength to strength.”

She also expressed her excitement that with the new swimming pool set to be built on Heslington east “things can only really get better”.

It is clear that the swimming teams which took part in these championships can be incredibly proud of their achievements, and they will be looking forward to upcoming events and the opportunity to break more records.