Defiant netball seconds beat Newcastle for second time this term

Image: Agatha Torrance

Image: Agatha Torrance

UNIVERSITY OF YORK SECONDS 42-40 NEWCASTLE UNIVERISTY FOURTHS
BUCS Northern Conference 5B

The women’s netball seconds claimed a well-earned victory against Newcastle fourths, in what turned out to be a nail-biting game with the scores close until the end.

After defeat in the sides last meeting just over three weeks ago, which saw them knocked out of the BUCS cup, Newcastle came out fighting with a point to prove, but it was a jubilant York side who gained the 42-40 win.

Both sides started strongly, but an interception from York’s Lucy Daymond looked set to assert the home side’s dominance for the rest of the game.

However, an unlucky umpiring decision meant York suffered for holding the ball for too long and gave Newcastle a turnover in possession and a 2-0 lead.

Vice-captain Shadyn Nikzad showed her worth with three interceptions in a row, leading to the York team gaining in confidence throughout the quarter, though with Newcastle’s goal defence causing problems for the York attack, the quarter ended with York holding a narrow 8-7 lead.

The second quarter saw the return of Nina Pullman, after nearly 7 weeks of injury, to take up the goal defence bib, and York’s combination of Amy Moye and Amy Moll in attack proved lethal, as Moll’s movement troubled the Newcatle defence and shooting from both girls hit the mark regardless of position in the D.

A slow start from York at the beginning of the third quarter gave Newcastle the chance to convert some short, sharp passes into important goals to bring the scores level.

But teamwork between Tess Webb and Pullman, leading to multiple interceptions, soon brought that to an end, whilst in attack some impressive ball placement from old-hands Nikzad and Ellie McAlpine saw York break away once more.

Despite commendable shooting from the Newcastle goal attack, York gained their biggest lead so far at 35-28.

The last quarter was an entertaining affair, as Newcastle crept up on the York lead and it appeared neither side could pull away.

Umpire decisions on McAlpine’s footwork did not get in the way of what was a deserved man of the match performance, as she remained crucial to some fluid centre-court play and consistent interceptions, breaking down Newcastle’s best efforts.

Emotions on the sideline ran high as York were forced to fight to the end, but the evident team spirit combined with some clever decisions saw York ultimately claim the win at 42-20.

Captain Tess Webb praised Newcastle’s “strong attack”, but said “we always knew we could win”; a confident approach which could well see York seconds inflicting further damage as they continue to climb the table.

Man of the match: Ellie McAlpine

York: Green, Webb (C), Daymond, Nikzad, McAlpine, Moll, Moye, Pullman