York’s fencers dominate Durham

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 135- 82 UNIVERSITY OF DURHAM SECONDS
BUCS Northern Conference 1A

Images: Andy Davis

York’s fencers continued their bullish league form with a superb display against Durham University’s seconds today, winning all three disciplines comfortably.

Such was the margin of victory that they required only three points from 45 in the final stage to win, a performance that will leave the team high on confidence as they push for promotion to the BUCS Premier Division in the new year.

The match began with the foil and initially looked to be a balanced affair, with Tom Skingle losing 5-4 in the first bout and Bartek Koryge narrowly besting his Durham counterpart 4-3.

However, York soon took a firm grip of the tie, initialised by Dan Cornwell, whose solid swordplay gave York a cumulative 15-11 lead after the third bout.

York would not lose again in the foil, with Skingle particularly impressive, winning his remaining bouts 6-1 and 5-1.

Durham looked to have no answers to York in this discipline, and the final score in the first stage was a deserved 45-26 win to York’s swordsmen.

If Durham were to have any chance in the match, they would have to make an immediate impact in the second discipline, the sabre.

York captain Thomas Jones had other ideas, however, as he promptly smashed his opponent 5-0 in the opening bout.

Durham managed to carve out a narrow 15-13 lead in the next two bouts, but this was not to last long, as York hit top gear.

The team of Thomas Jones, Paul Goddard and Bai Huang won six bouts in a row, with a chain of five all scored at 5-1, building a huge lead.

This truly was a hammer blow to their opponents’ hopes, as York romped away with a victory of 45-22.

Considering that York needed only three points from the epee to win, Durham were simply hoping for a solid performance to take a little pride back to the North-East.

Their fencers did produce an improved performance, but ultimately York were triumphant, winning this final discipline 45-34.

Again it was Skingle who produced the best performance of the end, with a bout score of 8-1 very well deserved.

Phil Sellars went undefeated in his three bouts, whilst debutant George Watkins delivered a solid 5-2 victory in his sole bout of the match.

Captain Thomas Jones was delighted with his team’s performance, stating, “Everyone performed today. Durham proved a solid opposition, but I’m really happy with the performance.”

This victory firmly cements York in second place in the table, and, with bottom of the table Bangor visiting in January, they can have every hope of continuing their rich vein of form.