Men’s firsts succumb to Leeds Met defeat

The men’s hockey firsts suffered their fourth defeat of the season as they went down 4-0 at the hands of Leeds Met Carnegie

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 0-4 LEEDS METROPOLITAN CARNEGIE
BUCS Northern Conference 2B

Images: Philippa Grafton

The men’s hockey firsts suffered their fourth defeat of the season, going down 4-0 at the hands of Leeds Met Carnegie.

The home side were never able to get going and fell victim to some sloppy goals, as they lost ground in the BUCS Northern Conference 2B.

York began promisingly, as captain Henry Meller and Kris Siva both went close to scoring, but both were denied by Leeds Met goalkeeper Tom Marshall.

But, with ten minutes played, the visitors took the lead in auspicious fashion, as Alex Muir capitalised on a scramble in the D to bundle the ball past Sam Harriman.

York were struggling to create chances, with only a speculative effort from Leo Watton providing hope of a goal.

However, they soon had the chance to equalise from a penalty corner, but Meller was unable to get his shot away quickly enough and the chance was gone.

With half-time approaching and York’s passing going astray, the away side doubled their advantage.

A driving run from Leeds Met’s right winger ended with a cross that Max Lambert finished from close range.

York began the second half looking for a comeback, but only Watton looked likely to provide it.

First, he forced a good save from Marshall before producing a deft flick to find Siva, whose was unable to reach Meller with the final pass.

And the White Rose were made to pay for their profligacy as Jake Foster gave Leeds Met a 3-0 lead, sweeping home clinically from a short corner.

Still York pressed for a way back into the tie, but Wotton was unable to find the net with two efforts, before Meller got a touch to Lawrie Torrington’s drilled pass, only to flick it over the bar.

Shortly after, it was 4-0, as a long punt into the D was cruelly deflected past Harriman, sealing victory for the visitors.

York still had time to search for a consolation goal, but Jammy Wilson scuffed his shot wide when he had two teammates waiting for a pass, and it could have been 5-0 if Foster had not wasted his chance from another penalty corner.

At full-time, York captain Henry Meller was left frustrated by his side’s performance, saying, “It’s a really disappointing loss. In the first half we were the better team, but we lost our structure in the second. It became messy and we needed someone to step up.”

He was particularly disappointed to see his team making the same mistakes as they have done all season: “We’ve had a consistent problem of impatience and a lack of confidence on the ball, but on our day I think we could beat anyone. 4-0 was harsh, and their first goal was really soft. Again, we have a consistent problem of conceding goals from a couple of yards out, and today’s performance was too polarised.”

York: Harriman, Folks, Wheatley, Christie, Dyson, Torrington, Siva, McAteer, Daniels, Branton, Meller (C), Watton, Wilson, Richards