Basketballers beat Newcastle to earn first win of the season

York’s men swept to victory against Newcastle Seconds by 56 points to 45 today. Cameron Lange starred, scoring 26 points in two and a half quarters as the hosts got their first win of the season

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 56-45 NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY SECONDS
BUCS Northern Conference Cup

Images: Agatha Torrance

York’s men swept to victory against Newcastle seconds by 56 points to 45 today. Cameron Lange starred, scoring 26 points in two and a half quarters as the hosts got their first win of the season.

York started well, racing into an 11-6 lead as they hit their opponents on the break.

Defensively solid, Newcastle struggled to break them down as the visitors ended the quarter down by seven points, with the score 15-8.

If York had had the upper hand in the first period, they were utterly dominant in the second.

Lange and Yanis Zicans scored early on, while Andreas Bedt epitomised the spirit in the home camp as he ripped the ball out of the hands of the Newcastle point guard to set up Lange for another basket.

The visitors struggled to score, netting only two baskets in the entire quarter as York ran riot with Lange scoring 14 points to put the hosts 31-12 up.

However Newcastle regrouped and re-emerged the stronger of the two teams, scoring nine of the first 13 points, prompting York captain Sam Bentley to call for a time out.

The home side failed to regain their dominance, and the game became a more open and evenly contested affair, though Newcastle struggled to make inroads into York’s lead as the hosts ended the third quarter with a 15 point advantage, leading 46-31.

With York having weathered their opponents’ fight back, the final quarter saw both defences dominate.

The home side looked to take the sting out of the game by slowing down proceedings as they frustrated their opponents.

And despite a late Newcastle flourish, the match fizzled out with it coming all too late for the visitors.

In the end, York ran out winners by 56 points to 45, to end a sequence of four straight defeats.

Speaking after the game, York captain Bentley was relieved to pick up their first win of the season: “To get our first win was essential. We have had a slow start to the season and today reflected that as we were still a bit sloppy. We have had problems with commitment in terms of players, and we have relied heavily on outside shooting and low percentage shots.”

Bentley was full of praise for sharpshooter Lange and felt his side could build on the performance: “Cameron was a standout player today, he was an integral figure. We aim to win the remainder of our games and it’s doable.”

York: Tobin, Chen, Liu, Mkaliumas, Bedt, Zicans, Baark, Taptas, Lange, Kiskis, Bentley (C)

1. Great article, but the captain is Sam Bentley- all references to me (Paul Tobin) as captain just need swapping please.