York Departments win national awards

The University has won two awards for its egineering research and the work of the Archaeology Department

The University of York has been awarded the prize of Outstanding Engineering Research Team of the Year at the annual Times Higher Education awards.

The award, presented at the Grosvenor House Hotel in Park Lane, recognises: “The team whose innovative research has made or has the potential to make a far-reaching impact on its field and to catch the public’s imagination.”

Graeme Osborn, YUSU Academic Officer, stated that he was “delighted”, adding that “[It] highlights the excellent quality of research carried out at the university…especially in the Department of Computer Science.”

The Archaeology Department, in a separate ceremony, won the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education for its work in broadening the scope of the discipline and its pioneering research in digital archaeology.

The awards come in light of the University falling from the Times Higher Education Authority’s top 100 universities in the world, as well as from the Top 10 UK universities in the 2012 Guardian League Table at the start of this academic year.

The University of Sheffield, meanwhile, was named the ‘University of the Year’, a prize won by the University of York in 2010.

Osborn expressed his happiness with the fact that: “These departments are continuing to win such recognition in spite of the University’s continuing slump in the national and global league tables”.

Professor Julian Richards , the Head of Archaeology at York, commented: “This award is a wonderful tribute to the hard work and level of excellence achieved by all staff and students in the Department, in teaching and research.

“Successive graduate cohorts have placed us at the top of the polls in the National Student Survey. The work of the Archaeology Data Service has had a major impact on archaeology nationally, and is now being emulated overseas.”

1. You seem to have neglected to mention the actual group that won the THE award… http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/news/item/169