Alcuin JCRC Hustings

The prospective candidates of this year’s Alcuin JCRC battled it out to win over voters for the coming elections at the Hustings event on Thursday night.

The Hustings, hosted by outgoing secretary Issy Hall, were an informal affair that helped candidates set out why they should get Alcuin’s vote. The event comprised of a short two-minute speech followed by a fun challenge, often involving current Chair Lizzie Bartholomew as a forlorn tiger.

The contest for the position of Chair is a two horse race this year, with Pascal Dubois, the current Male Welfare Officer, and newcomer Wasim Akhtar in the running. Their two-minute speeches were followed by a series of questions from the audience and current JCRC members. Both candidates answered the questions with ease and stressed their focus and determination in the role.

One of the main focuses for several candidates was on college events and the challenges facing the JCRC due to the loss of B Henry’s as their college bar. Proposals for using other YUSU bars during freshers and other events were hotly debated, but both Vice Chair, Business and Services candidates, agreed on the need to talk to other colleges and YUSU to hold Alcuin events.

Voting opens from Wednesday 30th November and will close on Monday 5th December.

Positions and Candidates

Chair:
Wasim Akhtar
Pascal Dubois

Vice-Chair Welfare:
Abigail Watson

Vice-Chair Business and Services:
Tom Macgregor
Phil Naylor
Ali Phillips

Secretary:
Eloise Brien

RAG Officers:
Millie Perkins, Laura Macdougall & Helen Swainston

Sports Officers:
Amy Ballard, Aimee Clarke, Frank Flight, Alex Cormack & Megan Knight

Communication Officer:
Joshua Lee

Ents Officers:
Ben Bugeja & Ben Lightfoot

International Welfare Officers:
Gabrielle Dumont & Amadea Ng

LGBT Officer:
Catherine Hennigan
Conor Roche

Male Welfare Officer:
Ben Eves
Constantin Voll
Gopun Jani
Panos Sgardelis

Female Welfare Officer:
Sophie Lane
Alex Slingsby
Katie Rossiter
Stephanie Young