University agrees to designated postering areas to combat ban

YUSU and the University have agreed on short term measures to combat the postering ban currently being enforced, by introducing designated postering areas across campus

Image Credit: Agatha Torrance

Image Credit: Agatha Torrance

YUSU have outlined plans for a compromise on the University’s ban on posters around campus. The Student Development Assembly, which met on Tuesday, decided to back proposals from James Croydon, YUSU Student Activities Officer, for both short and long term solutions to the problem.

The short term proposals were approved by the University last week at the campus services meeting. These proposals focus on putting up nimlok boards in the busiest areas of the University campus including the James nucleus and the Physics Exhibition Centre. The library, Vanbrugh and Derwent are also to be used for these posters while positions for the new boards are still being decided for other colleges.

These boards are only to be used for societies and sport clubs and graduate companies will not be allowed to advertise using these.

YUSU are also working in conjunction with the University to achieve a long term solution to the problem. Croydon said he met with Claire Inman, Vanbrugh Facilities Manager, to discuss the idea of painting designated areas for posters on walls.

This will start next term and is to be repeated across all colleges once discussions with managers have taken place and the designated areas are agreed. These areas will not be covered and every poster is to have an expiry date to maximise available space.

In relation to the issue of fines for societies who break the rules on posters, Croydon said no fines had been given out yet and posters had just been removed.

Croydon also commented that the reasoning for the ban on posters had originated from much lower down in the university hierarchy than was originally believed.

He stated: “There has been a bit of a blame game going on. The issue actually began a lot lower down than we originally thought.”

YUSU has already begun to implement the short term proposals and will continue to do this throughout next week.

1. 24 Nov ’11 at 6:45 pm

Oliver Blackburn

If the issue originated a lot further down the chain than people thought why not flaunt the ban? Bugger all estates can do about it.

2. Does this truly represent a viable alternative? No, and until there is I suggest that everyone and every society carries on putting posters up all around campus.

3. “These boards are only to be used for societies and sport clubs and graduate companies will not be allowed to advertise using these”

This could mean either
    (Only to be used for societies and sport clubs)(graduate companies will not be allowed to advertise using these)

or

(Only to be used for societies)(sport clubs and graduate companies will not be allowed to advertise using these).

4. Unless the posters have, say, an advert for an event or a society or anything with contact details or time/place on them, in which case Estates can find and fine you.

On the other hand, this is clearly what the University was after; implementing ‘postering areas’ immediately would, as in previous years, do nothing – but banning and then introducing might actually get them to work. I just hope they have enough designated areas for societies to actually find them useable, and that they’re maintained and kept up-to-date.

Also it’s Claire Inman, not Imman.

5. 26 Nov ’11 at 3:24 pm

Honourofmankind90

how long till those tossers tokyo plaster them with there crap posters?