Men’s water polo inflict Grim defeat on opponents

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 9-7 GRIMSBY TOWN

Images: Philippa Grafton

York’s men’s water polo team secured a close win against Grimsby Town on Wednesday evening, in a tightly fought and fast-paced match.

The energetic play in the first quarter opened up plenty of opportunities for both teams.

Despite some great shots on goal from Grimsby, York appeared to have the upper hand on scoring with two goals in quick succession from Nick Boaz (through keeper’s arms) and Stuart Paterson (high right corner of the net).

This early lead appeared to bolster the York defence and Grimsby found it impossible to find an opening, with the first quarter ending 2-0.

York again started strongly in the second quarter, with another goal from Boaz.

However, Grimsby soon began to retaliate with a goal from Jason Marrows, which saw the start of Grimsby possession in front of the York goal.

A great deflection by Rob Holmes avoided a shot from Richard Ornsby which was supported by a series of spectacular saves by captain and goalkeeper Chris Snowden.

But Russ Marrows eventually penetrated the York defence with an excellent goal straight into the corner of the net.

Respite for York soon came from man of the match Joseph Marshall, whose hat-trick goal was quickly followed by another, taking the score at halftime to 6-4, much to the home crowd’s delight.

The second half saw no let-up in the energy of the game, as strong passing between York allowed Michael Perkins to put a fast ball past goalkeeper Jamie Mangle.

However, the away side were determined not to let York slip away from them and a few swift passes along the left wing were enough to allow Sam Chapman to get another goal past Snowden.

York continued to seize all opportunities but a disallowed goal from Boaz for stalling meant the third quarter ended 7-5 to York.

The final quarter demonstrated some fine attacking play by the York side, whose semi-circle formation seemed infallible as Perkins scored again.

A major foul from Grimsby’s Mark Shepherd just in front of goal prevented another from Boaz, although an opportunistic Ali Holmes managed to seize another goal for York with Grimsby a man down.

A further disallowed goal from Boaz for fouling goalkeeper Mangle encouraged Grimsby to a last minute attack.

Yet a major foul by an enthusiastic Rob Holmes in the pit gave Grimsby a penalty, taken by Chapman which went straight past Snowden as the whistle blew, taking the final score to a respectable 9-7.

York captain Snowden was delighted with his side’s win, remarking afterwards, “‘It was a tough game but we played really well and it’s a great start to the season. We’ve got some good freshers and I hope we can really build on the team from last year.”

Despite their loss, Grimsby’s David Scott congratulated York, saying, “It was definitely the hardest game we’ve played all year, but also the best we’ve played – York were tough opposition.”

Man of the Match: Joseph Marshall

York: Chris Snowden (C), Nick Boaz, Stuart Paterson, Rob Holmes, Ali Holmes, Andy Burns, Joseph Marshall, Michael Perkins, Yaroslav Magnus-Hamblett, Daniel Chen, Joseph Ramage, Andrew Woodward