Women’s firsts dominate in comfortable 10-0 victory

UNIVERISTY OF YORK FIRSTS 10-0 NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY THIRDS

Images: Agatha Torrance

In a massively one-sided affair, the York women’s firsts took the game in hand, relaxed, and dissected a clustered and confused Newcastle thirds side.

The York team started well, building their goal tally on polished short corner plays, and racked up six goals in the first half. They then continued their assault in the second half, and ramped the score-line up to 10-0.

York won the toss after a delayed start, and immediately created fears that they weren’t up to the challenge by losing possession and being put on the back foot within thirty second, though captain Hannah Gage quickly put them to rest as she was played through and slotted the ball into the corner of the goal to make it 1-0.

The first goal signalled the start of the landslide.

The second goal came following a scuffle in the D, but Imy Storm produced the finish required to put York at a safe distance from their counterparts. It wasn’t a clean goal, but it allowed York to relax and bring out the best of their game.

What followed was a torrent of goals, despite Newcastle’s attempts to play for possession. The away team became clustered around the centre of the pitch, leaving their flanks open for York’s exploitation, though they did have a few chances themselves.

A second goal from Storm, again from a short corner, and a great effort from the deserving Rachael Faustino saw the White Rose pull away to 4-0.

Laura Welsing was then set up for the fifth by Gage, who was integral in assisting the York goals, before Emily Lucas wrapped up the first half with a sixth.

After half time, York continued their domination, despite cries of desperation from the Newcastle side to “push up”.

Play was not perfect within the York team though, and on several occasions opportunities were wasted as players refused to pass the ball to a team mate in a better position.

Newcastle seemed to retreat into their shell, rarely mounting any kind of attack and lingering in their D, waiting for the York team to return if the ball was cleared.

To some extent, the strategy succeeded in dulling the rate of goal scoring the York side had enjoyed in the first half, but it was not enough to prevent Jolie Hartley scoring after a great assist by Emma Beresford.

York’s passing improved towards the end game, connecting excellent cross-field balls and exploiting the gaps that had appeared in the Newcastle team over the course of the game.

Laura Welsing seized one long pass and hammered the ball past the defeated Newcastle goalie, and shortly after Lucas collected a loose ball in the area and made the score 9-0.

The tireless Joely Hartly then slammed home the tenth so that York could call it a day.

Afterwards captain Gage said, “It was brilliant, very good. The passing was good but we’ll definitely be improving our fitness as I think we tired in the second half.

“They’re quite high in our league, but we’ll be playing the Newcastle seconds soon, and I think their top of the league with us.”

1. 16 Nov ’11 at 10:42 pm

Rachael Faustino (UYHC President)

Hannah *Gage

Emma *Beresford

*RachAel Faustino

Please make ammendments for next time.

2. 16 Nov ’11 at 10:57 pm

Jonathan Frost

Hi Rachael,
    Thanks for pointing those out. Sorry, it’s been a long day. The article’s been ammended.

Congrats on a good win,
    Jonathan.