Second-half recovery ensures victory for rugby firsts

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 33-15 UNIVERISTY OF HULL
BUCS Rugby Union Trophy First Round

Images: Agatha Torrance

A determined second-half display from the men’s rugby firsts gave them a 33-15 win over Hull today in the first round of the BUCS Rugby Union Trophy.

York were trailing at half-time but three second-half tries gave them a deserved victory, which was their second over Hull this season.

Things started badly for the home side when Hull took a controversial lead ten minutes in.

A period of sustained pressure led to Hull’s loosehead prop scoring in the corner, though the York players were convinced that the ball hadn’t crossed the line.

Their appeals were in vain, and Hull scored the conversion to make it 0-7.

Soon after, York fly-half Tomasz Chadwick missed the chance to pull some points back with a penalty, but he found his aim two minutes later as he scored to make it 3-7.

That seemed to inject a new confidence into the home side and they soon took the lead, as Richard Bremner collected Matt Pollen’s pass to go over from close range.

Chadwick, though, was unable to add the extras, leaving York with a one point lead.

With the half drawing to a close, Hull piled on the pressure and forced a penalty, which was duly converted as they regained the advantage.

York looked to have hit back straight away, but the referee ruled out what Hugo Watson thought was a try, before enraging the York players once again by blowing for half-time with the home side on the five metre line.

With a 10-8 deficit to overturn, York began the second half with purpose, Chadwick scoring a penalty to make it 11-10, before they scored their second try of the match.

Right-wing Will Sharp, who had caused problems for Hull throughout the game, showed blistering pace to reach Ben Turner’s kick over the top, and he touched down to make it 16-10, though Chadwick was again unable to make the conversion.

Shortly after, another Chadwick penalty gave York a nine point advantage and put them in complete control.

However, Hull were handed an unlikely lifeline when their first meaningful attack of the half resulted in a try after some impressive work in the scrum, but the conversion was missed, leaving the score at 19-15.

Knowing that their opponents were in with a chance, York upped their game in the closing stages, and when the ball was worked left by Will Peters for Pollen to run over, with Chadwick scoring the conversion, York could sense victory.

It was left to Chadwick to secure the win with five minutes to play, intercepting a pass and sidestepping two Hull challenges to score the try and the resulting conversion.

After a slight scare, York had prevailed 33-15 to get back to winning ways after last week’s defeat to Leeds Met, much to the delight of stand-in captain Matt Pollen.

He said, “We came back well. We ended up in a similar situation to last week’s game against Leeds Met, but the difference this time was that we stuck to our game plan and played it through to the end.”

York Team: Paton, Kirkly, Naidoo, Pampiglione, Abbott, Eastwood, Ross, Arnold, Turner, Chadwick, Sharp, Pollen (C), Watson, Adebiyi, Bremner