Residents of Halifax College’s Younger court are claiming compensation after a leak in a cold water tank caused substantial flooding on all three of their accommodation’s floors.
Within ten minutes water had poured through the ceilings, flooding the kitchen and the hallway; forcing two students to vacate their rooms for four days. Witnesses in the opposite house saw water seeping through the bricks and through the front door.
The residents were informed by maintenance that the leak was caused by an ill fitted bolt as renovations in the summer had been conducted quickly due to time constraints.
Water suction machines have been used to collect the excess water and dehumidifiers have been placed in the effected rooms. The residents were informed within two hours that all the necessary Health and Safety checks had been carried out and that the house was “safe to be occupied.”
However one resident says she is still, “angry and annoyed.” While another feels the initial job was “careless.”
Two of the residents whose bedrooms were flooded have asthma; one is currently suffering from a throat infection and was told by her doctor that this incident was to blame.
The University has responded to residents’ requests for carpets to be shampooed and has offered alternative accommodation to those whose rooms have been affected.
According to one resident, “the smell and heat in the hallways was disgusting,” which made it “generally uncomfortable” and “hard to breathe.”
A University Spokesperson confirmed that they “are in receipt of a request for compensation from students.”