YUsnow members in Team GB

Photo credit: YUsnow

Photo credit: YUsnow

Two York students are representing Great Britain at Snowboardcross. Thomas Farrow and Marlies Neuner are competing in boarder cross competitions throughout Europe this season.

They will be racing in France, Austria, Switzerland and Italy and are also planning a race in Canada. Over the season Farrow and Neuner will be competing in around ten races.

They are aiming to reach World Cup level and their ultimate goal is the Winter Olympics in 2018. The students are part of a team of eight and will be attending training camps throughout the season.

The camps range from one to three weeks long with a week off in between. This is the first time both Farrow and Neuner have competed at international level.

However they have plenty of competitive experience. Over the past three years the duo have been taking part in University competitions across the country and abroad.

These ranged from dry slope competitions in Edinburgh, indoor tournaments in Castleford to real snow competitions in Tignes, France.
Whilst at the British University Snowsports Championships in the French Alps the two students took part in try-outs for the British snowboardcross team.

In early October Farrow, a Philosophy student and Neuner, a Psychology student received the news that they had made the team. On the thought of boarding for Britain Neuner said, “This opportunity gives me the chance to do what I love, whilst representing my country. It’s fantastic being able to take a passion and develop it to a professional level and compete for Great Britain”.

He added that he was looking forward to getting started, “I’m so happy to be here and I’m excited about the upcoming competitions and enjoying being able to snowboard full time!” The two have just been in Zermatt, Switzerland finishing their first training camp.

This session aimed to develop riding technique and improve racing ability as well as improving their skills on on halfpipes and jumps. The next camps will focus on specific racing technique and will involve training on race courses.

It will be an intense experience for the snowboarders with early starts, a full day of snowboard training and fitness training in the evening. The talented pair are home this week before heading off to their next camp at the end of November for two weeks.

After that their busy schedule takes them to the French Alps where they will be staying over Christmas and they will be using the mountains as a base until the end of April.