Women’s basketball team beat city rivals in impressive display

York’s women basketball team recorded a superb win against intercity rivals St John’s. In an excellent performance York were strong from the start

York 54 – 27 York St John

Images: Philippa Grafton

York’s women basketball team recorded a superb win against inter-city rivals St John’s. In an excellent performance York were strong from the start.

Almost immediately York gained a free throw penalty which Marta Marsiconraite gained a point out of. Stefanie Mataragka then scored from the right side to make it 3-0. After a good build up Marsiconraite made it 5-0.

Federica Boretta then scored from close range to extend York’s lead. St John’s scored a basket before York returned to offensive play. Mataragka scored on the counter attack and Christina Kirchkuebel also found the target before the end of the first quarter.

After the break York began aggressively but were caught on the counter attack by St John’s who scored from the right side of the semi-circle. York responded by extending their lead to 20-8. St John’s then clawed back four points before Marscionrate scored a point for York from a penalty at the end of the first quarter.

St John’s were first to score in the third but York responded in impressive style. Lydie Mariutto scored before Mataragia intercepted a St John pass and also found the basket.

The same two players scored again to make it 28-14. Kirchkuebel scored three times to move York onto 34 points while Marsicionrate scored a point from a penalty. York scored again before St John’s hit the target and claimed two points.

York then upped their game as Mariutto set up Kirchkuebel who was near the basket. The home team kept attacking and reached 48 points. There was a brief disruption to York’s bombardment of the visitors when St John’s scored three points. However York wasted no time in getting back on the offensive and Nazish Mir scored two points from a penalty. Some complacency gave St John’s too much room in the semi-circle and the local rivals were able to gain two points.

York then scored their last points of the game when Captain Janne Billiet scored with her second shot at the hoop before scoring again shortly after.

St John’s picked up some last minute points but they were too late to affect the outcome of the match. On the win York Captain Janne Billiet said, “I am pleased we won a tough game. It was a big win for us and we played well. We were a little shaky in the second quarter but we pulled it together in the third. Our strength today was defence and that helped us to make lots of good attacks and score points.”

Team: Heather Newton, Chantelle Ivyarko, Stefania Mutaragia, Faye Tayloe, Lydie Mariutto, Nazish Mir, Marta Marscionrate, Christina Kirchuebel, Janne Billiet (Captain), Federica Boretta, Nicola Mill