Tale of two halves for York’s netball firsts

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 37-47 TEESSIDE UNIVERSITY

Images: Agatha Torrance

A poor first half performance by York’s netballers saw them well beaten by a strong Teesside team, the game finishing 47-37 to the visitors. The York team were short of available players meaning that they had to play people out of position and name nobody on their substitutes bench. A mixed start to the season has now seen two losses and one win for the York team.

York started the match but a miss by Kay Masterson following a swift exchange of passes with Bronwyn Dalley-Smith, meant that the first basket went to Teesside’s goal shooter Leanne Rogers, soon to be added to by their goal attacker Lauren Hodgson.

Mistakes at the back were costing York as they were continually pulled up for obstructions which allowed Teesside’s attackers a number of free shots, unfortunately for York they rarely missed the basket from these opportunities. Neblett, usually a goal shooter, had to fill in at goal defence, due to Nina Pullman’s ankle injury, and her inexperience in the position was exposed at times by Teesside’s strong attack.

At the other end some brave feeds into the D by York were coming off, but they were having to work much harder for their baskets than the Teesside team, although some confident finishing by Lisa Griffiths helped to spare York’s blushes. A poor first quarter overall by York saw them end it losing 14-8.

The second quarter failed to bring about a change in fortunes for York as they were once again second best. With York’s centre court struggling Teesside found it easy to intercept passes and control the game. The fluid moving and passing that the Teesside team were demonstrating meant that they created chance after chance, many of which their shooters Rogers and Hodgson were happy to convert into points. The half-time whistle was blown with the score at 25-14 to Teesside.

A different York team showed up for the second half and they got off to a fantastic start with Lisa Griffiths scoring two quick baskets. More movement from York meant that they created more space on the court to pass into, they also cut down on mistakes and converted a greater number of their chances. Teesside’s attack however was not easing off, but a lovely feed by captain Rebecca O’Dwyer to shooter Masterson saw York gain momentum against their opponents and begin to dominate proceedings for the first time in the match.

The vastly improved performance from the first half showing saw York win the quarter 12-10, unfortunately it was a case of too little too late as Teesside were still well ahead with the score at 35-26 going into the final quarter.

A bad start to the final quarter by York saw them briefly revert to their first half performance levels, but they soon picked up again and ended the match strongly. York once again matched the Teesside team who will be their main competition in the league this year following relegation from the league above.

The game ended 47-37 but it failed to reflect the quality of York’s second half performance. Captain Rebecca O’Dwyer reflecting on the match stated that she was pleased with how they “picked it up in the last half” and hoped that they would “carry the second half performance levels through to next week’s game”.

GK – Lottie Knight
GD – Georgia Neblett
WD – Charlotte Ferns
C – Rebecca O’Dwyer (c)
WA – Bronwyn Dalley-Smith
GS – Kay Masterson
GA – Lisa Griffiths