One to watch

Rising star in the design world, Trine Lindegaard, caught up with to discuss Butterfly collections, 90 year old men and womenswear

The Royal College of Art’s MA graduate show has a real buzz about it, unlike any other graduate fashion show. This is due to the clothing being rather avant garde and conceptual, with the connection of art in fashion really shining through to produce walking masterpieces with more depth than a trend silhouette.

In 2010, first out for the show was a very colourful menswear display from Danish born designer Trine Lindegaard. Since then this ‘One to Watch’ has continued on her path of success, showing her first vibrant collection at London Fashion Week, selling her garments on ASOS marketplace and now a new T-shirt range at the Tate Modern.

Trine’s latest juicy collection is eccentric, scrumptious and although being for Spring Summer 12, has a great range of lime, navy and burnt maroon that fits Autumn with perfect ease. Her clothes are somewhat playful and made from a plentiful mix of fabrics including corduroy and waxed cotton. The look is a cross breed of geek chic chewed up with jelly babies, producing some cartoon-like garments including shirts, polo necks, baggy pants and boxed shouldered overcoats. The clothes include fabric enhancements such as appliqued crosses, ribbon stripes and floppy layered fringing.

Her fearless colour combinations and experiments certainly pay off, and she has already a trademark look firmly established. All potential rough edges of a fresh faced designer have been smoothed out with the carefully considered shoes choice and neat bowl haircuts.
I have read that throughout your childhood you were surrounded by weird and wonderful eccentrics and collectors.

How has your childhood reflected in your design style?

I was quiet and very shy as a child, and really loved listening to people. When my parents were having dinner parties I would much rather sit at the table listening to all the parents rather than playing with the other kids. There would always be plenty of characters around the table, and it is these kind of people that still inspire me today.

What was the most inspirational or prominent item you saw being collected in Denmark when you were a child?

Butterflies. My upstairs neighbours had them hanging in frames on the wall everywhere. And my dad collected dead insects for a while. He has always been extremely interested in biology. He would just stick pins through flies and spiders and leave them on the notice board. He would also collect flowers whenever we went on holiday, and he would then dry them in the phone books when we got home. He is really disorganised though, so I don’t think he ever got around to take them out. I would imaging they are still laying in there today.

Coming from Denmark, how has London and England effected you as a designer? Do you like the London look?

Being in London has pushed my designs further and made them bolder. London is huge compared to Denmark and there are so many diverse people here. Today I met this 90 year old man in a fabric shop who has taken up sewing.
I love the London look, but must say living in Hackney it does become a bit boring that everyone tries really hard to look different but ends up looking really similar in the end.

What has been your career highlight so far? Launching your brand?

Having my first proper show this season as part as Vauxhall Fashion Scout’s Ones To Watch was a fantastic experience. Also I have got a range of T-shirts that has gone on sale at the Tate Modern this week. I am really excited about selling there as it will allow me reach a much wider audience.

Describe the Trine Lindegaard look in 5 words.

Bright, bold, playful, eccentric and colourful.

Did you always know you wanted to specialise in menswear rather than womens?

I have known for a while now. I started out (like most others) doing womenswear, but I mainly designed clothes that I would like to wear myself, by swapping to menswear I took the focus away from me and was forced to look at it in a different perspective. I find it a lot more challenging as well. Saying that, I would love to be doing unisex in the future.

What advantages and disadvantages are there to designing menswear?

For me it is really important to keep my clothes wearable. So I am always aware of functionality when I design but I try not to be boring. I guess it is always about keeping the balance. And I think that is why I enjoy menswear so much, it is somehow more challenging than womenswear.

What kind of a man do you want to appeal to?

I am trying to be realistic here. I would like to think I design for fairly normal man, with an interest in what he wears and who doesn’t take himself too seriously. Also my clothes fit in well in the Asian market, as they are generally more open to what they wear.
What celebrity would you love to dress?
Jay-Z or Woody Allen.