Drink spiking provokes YUSU campaign

Two students have ended up in Accident and Emergency after suspected cases of drink spiking, the rise of drink spiking has provoked an anti-drink spiking campaign from the YUSU Welfare staff

Two students have ended up in Accident and Emergency after suspected cases of drink spiking. The rise of drink spiking has provoked an anti-drink spiking campaign from the YUSU Welfare staff.

There have been several suspected cases of drink spiking in York bars and clubs in the last two weeks, which have led to further investigations. The students involved have been both male and female, and have included first and older years.
A second-year student, who wished to remain anonymous, said “I’ve never had a night like it, suddenly I could not feel my legs and I had lost all control of my body.” The student in question did not report the incident to the police, despite having to be taken home.
Many College Chairs are aware of the emerging problem. Lizzie Bartholomew, Alcuin College JCRC Chair, has expressed concern about a noticeable increase in suspected drink spiking incidents over the last year.

She commented: “The number of incidents [reported] in Alcuin has however been very low.” However, she didn’t want to name specifics as investigations are still ongoing and I wouldn’t want to jeopardize this.”

“I could not feel my legs and had lost all control of my body

A Vanbrugh Second Year

In previous years there have been cases of drink-spiking. However, the drugs used to spike drinks are notoriously difficult to trace, and are usually expelled from the system within 24 hours.

Consequently the crime is notorious for its low rate of report and conviction.

Bob Hughes, YUSU Welfare Officer, stated that the number of suspected spiking incidencts have emphasised the need for a bigger focus on alcohol awareness.

YUSU are to work with the North Yorkshire Police on a campaign to raise the issue of drink spiking during alcohol awareness week starting November 14th.

“We’re currently planning a series of events together around understanding alcohol limits, and about safety on nights out,” Hughes said.
“We are also carrying out surveys on students’ attitudes to alcohol so that we know which key areas to target.”
Hughes continued by adding that: “The University and the Students’ Union are working together to promote responsible drinking, with bars, clubs and students,” he said.

Alongside actual reported incidents of suspected spiking, Hughes also said that he had heard from a number of students who had concerns about spiking, especially related to the safety of them and their friends on nights out.

“The incidents don’t appear to be limited to any specific bars or clubs, and so we’re working with the local police to ensure that this message is widespread, and that we are both aware of any incidents going on.”