York rugby seconds crushed by relentless Durham

UNIVERSITY OF YOK 0 – 65 DURHAM UNIVERSITY

Images: Philippa Grafton

York’s rugby seconds suffered a crushing defeat at the hands of Durham in their third game of the season.

The home side came up against a strong and well organised Durham team with the match finishing at 0-65. Top of the league Durham began well and scored their first try within minutes. After York tried to push into the Durham half the away team intercepted and the attacking player was able to run straight to the tryline. The visitors then easily scored the conversion.

York kicked off again and almost immediately found themselves two tries behind as Durham broke through with the try-scorer making a superb run.

Despite missing the conversion Durham continued to pile on the pressure. Some better play allowed York to push their way into the Durham half. However a mistimed pass led to a Durham interception and the away number 9 broke through to get the try.

Durham then converted to make the score 0-19. After a promising break on the right Durham were quick to regain possession and kicked the ball into the right side of York’s half.

The opposing number 19 then sprinted through and was able to add another try to Durham’s tally after some poor tackling. The away side then took the points from the conversion on the half time whistle.

After the break things turned from bad to worse for York. Only minutes after the restart Durham pushed through to score their fifth try of the day before making the conversion.

Durham soon sliced through the defence again but this time missed a much tougher kick for the conversion. It wasn’t long before an away back made a run down the left wing which again resulted in a try.

The visitors then hit the post with the conversion. The home team briefly put some pressure on the Durham defence. York’s progress was quickly reversed though when Durham intercepted a pass and the away back sprinted to the tryline to make it 0-48.

The visitors then scored a longer conversion to hit the 50 mark. Jake Deppe set up a great chance for York when he kicked the ball out on the left to force a line out close to the away tryline.

However York were caught out as an away back advanced up the field where a visiting forward was able to finish off the try. After the away side missed the kick York tried to attack again but made the same mistake.

A poor line out led to the visitors manoeuvring their way up the pitch to score their tenth try of the match. Of little compensation to York was that Durham missed the conversion. York tried one last attack but Durham easily regained possession.

The visitors then played the ball across from left to right culminating in their final try of the game. While the conversion was wasted the visitors still walked away clear winners.

After the game York Captain Jack Eastwood said, “We were playing against a very strong third team. The result was unfortunate but we will be looking forward to playing Durham again. They are an excellent side but we played some good rugby.”

York Team: Fiifi Botchway, Joe Turner, Rob Golding, Sam Carr-Archer, Harry Pampiglione, Jonny Robertson, Matt Thorpe, Jack Eastwood (Captain), Tom Finnerty, Jake Deppe, Baz Bhavich, Alex Summers, Conan Osbourne, Aaron Rolph, Fergus McCallister. Subs: Stuart Duncan, Ed Kemp, Rich Rhodes, Harry Illes, Luke Cuanan, James Ramm, Ian Packard