The Nouse Fresher’s playlist

No one likes students, not even students. Enjoy your interim as society’s most hated with this congratulatory playlist.

“Mo Money, Mo Problems” – Notorious B.I.G.
That day your student loan comes in is great. There’s that brief wonder of seeing 4 digits in your bank account, that irrational belief of having swindled some free money and the potential for unhindered spending. A couple weeks on and you find yourself dependant on varieties of budget cider and tinned goods.
See also: “Bills, Bills, Bills” – Destiny’s Child

“No Hope Kids” – Wavves
Moving to University sucks: no car, (probably) no significant other, no friends, no family. You’ve basically committed yourself to voluntary paid exile in a strange part of the country.
See also: “Going Away To College” – Blink 182

“Hit The North” – The Fall
For some, York is in the great frontier of the North, a place only seen in Billy Elliot and This Is England. You’ll probably be a bit disappointed, York is like a visiting a miniature model village of a Northern town. It’s a little too idyllic: a middle-class oasis of churches, museums and walking tours. If you squinted it could pass as Cambridge.
See also: “It’s Grim Up North” – The JAMs

“Born To Run” – Bruce Springsteen

Yeah sure, it must suck to move from whatever big city you’ve lived in to the cloistered walls of York. But for those of us stuck in provincial backwaters and cultural badlands, moving out to anywhere is highly desirable. This is for anyone discovering the wonders of high street stores, chain coffee shops and 80s themed nightclubs.
See also: “The Suburbs” – Arcade Fire, “American Waste”- Black Flag

“Darling Nicki” – Prince

There are some quite attractive people in York, just don’t get any ideas about touching them. According to a recent survey, students in York aren’t too bothered about indulging in any sexual intercourse.
See also: “Bunk Trunk Shunk” – Be Your Own Pet

“Seeing Red” – Minor Threat
Flatmates are a bit of a lottery. Living with some people can build up a lot of rage; it’s probably best to dispense your homicidal urges through these tracks instead.
See also: “Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole” – Martha Wainwright, “Something Against You” – The Pixies

“I Don’t Know What You’re Talking About” – Hüsker Dü
For those awkward moments after you’ve finished exchanging the details of your degree, college, hometown and journey to York.
See also: “Psycho Killer” – Talking Heads, “Paranoid Chant” – The Minutemen

“Younger Us” – Japandroids

It’s not really that bad though. You’ve successfully delayed having to live in the real world for at least a few years.

See also: “Lust For Life” – Girls, “Party Hard” – Andrew W.K.