Freshers: Where to eat in York

A Freshers guide of where to eat in York

Parents: La Rustique

Price: £15-30

Tucked away in Castlegate, La Rustique is known throughout the city to have delicious, and very reasonably priced, French food. The best place to go for a perfectly cooked steak, melt in the mouth scallops or tender leg of duck, it is an ideal place to bring your parents and take full advantage of being able to order three courses. Their dessserts are also a speciality. During the week it also offers a more student friendly set menu, where you can get two courses for £11.95.

Friends: Il Paradiso

Price: £5-12

Eating at Il Paradiso is similar to eating in someone’s front room. Whilst hardly impressive looking from the outside, this cosy, and very authetically Italian restaurant, serves truly delicious homemade pasta for under £7 pounds, authentic Italian pizzas starting at £5 and has a varied selection of specials everyday. The whole place is very small, but very friendly, and the service is impressively fast. It is small and very popular, so booking is recommended.

Hot Date: Indochine

Price: £9-20

Yorkshire, oriental and tapas are not always three words that go comfortably together. Yet Indochine offers both large noodle dishes and bento boxes, as well as a range of little oriental “tapas” plates from Japan, China, Vietnam and Thailand. The tapas is melt in the mouth delicious- we recommend the char sui pork, teriyaki salmon and the seafood tempura which is the best we have ever tasted. Great place to go on a date; order a few dishes to share and set the scene for a ‘Lady and the Tramp’ moment.