Student found guilty of possessing 600 child porn images

York Crown court, where Smith was found guilt of possessing pornographic images Image Credit: Peter Iveson

A mature student at the University has been given a suspended six-month prison sentence after 600 sexual images of children were found on his home computer.

The images were found after the police raided his home in Selby, with 41 of the images found deemed “hard-core pornography”.

Marc Robert Smith, 37, is now on a leave of absence from the University as he undertakes a sex offenders’ treatment course and he will be supervised by the probation service for two years.

However, the University has stated that it will not be taking any “internal disciplinary action” regarding the incident.

Smith was studying Computer Science but has been banned from using computers in certain circumstances.

After pleading guilty, Smith will subsequently be put on the sex offenders’ register for seven years and has been banned from visiting children under 16.

Judge Colin Burn said that: “You must understand, somewhere around the world, some child has been horribly abused in order to provide entertainment or gratification for people who now, by reason of your guilty plea, include you.”

A University spokesman commented: “Marc Robert Smith is not a University employee but a mature student here currently on leave of absence.

“The University takes a very strong view of this offence. We will not take internal disciplinary action in this case as the offence was committed before he was a student of ours.”