The Trends S/S 12

Twinkle, Twinkle

Some shine out more than others in fashion, and Mr Christopher Kane certainly knows how to bottle star dust. This trend is principally based on star prints, but as you have never seen them before. The use of photographic prints of actual stars from NASA was a main look for street style at LFW. It is certain that the high street will soon have these style prints. It is a versatile trend in that it can be dressed up or down, but is perfect for the upcoming glitzy party season.

Get Real

Have a look at Ashish’s latest offerings. One theme, but shown in two different ways. Firstly, the look has used a real object, and secondly elements strongly mimic a real object, this being a garden wall. In actuality this look is rather unrealistic to wear out on a daily basis, but think about a painfully real close up print, such as bricks. Also consider using real items, like Ashish and Carlotta Actis Barone have done with

Page Turner

With American designer, Corrie Nielsen, using Oscar Wilde’s The Picture of Dorian Gray as a major source of inspiration in her latest collection, it is refreshing to see a designer looking at literacy source for a style. For this trend, it is all about using your imagination. There is no exact look, but as with the mental images that fictional books fill our minds with, you take the truth, in this case being clothing worn by people of that time, and then you put a twist on them. For example, Nielsen has the historical features spot on such as the waist coat but then with an extreme collar emphasizing Gray’s character.

Necks Appeal

Scarves are the obvious Autumn Winter ‘it’ accessory, but be creative with this new focus area during the chilly seasons. Consider all fabric and soft items that might be a suitable new neck decoration. Although this might sound a little out there, it certainly will not look out of place. For example, in the latest DSquared2 collection, models wore huge flags as scarves which created a new purpose for this patriotic item. Another item that might be used in this manner is the classic band flag. Dig up your old gig banners and wear them as you would a scarf.