Societies suffer from a drop in YUSU funding

A NUMBER of societies have faced difficulty this year after receiving far less money from YUSU than they had expected many of them blame a number of cuts in the YUSU budget, which is having a knock-on effect to societies

A NUMBER of societies have faced difficulty this year after receiving far less money from YUSU than they had expected. Many of them blame a number of cuts in the YUSU budget, which is having a knock-on effect to societies.

However James Croydon, YUSU Student Activities Officer, has said that there have been no cuts to the YUSU budget this year, and furthermore that there has been no decrease in the money spent upon societies.

Croydon commented: “The money I gave to societies was the same if not more. There are just more societies this year. No one is going to disappear because of their grant but the money I was being asked for was significantly more than the money that was available. More societies applied for grants.” Treasurer of DanceSoc, Charlotte Peachy, has said that the society’s financial position is very different to what it was a couple of years ago, “We have to pay out quite a lot to do competitions, as well as the dance showcase. “We rely on YUSU helping us get to competitions, because the only income we get is from the classes we run.”

“This year we have had to reduce costs, which has meant paying our instructors less for each class”

Charlotte Peachy – Treasurer of Dance Soc

She explained that “this year we have had to reduce costs, which has meant paying our instructors less for each class. We have also had to look into new ways of making money, we are aiming to start up more classes to appeal to more people.”

Explaining what they will need to cut back on, she said that they are already unable to send people to a number of competitions due to registration fees and transport costs but said that since they “don’t want to cut back on showcase we may have to sacrifice some competitions”.

Croydon also discussed his new societies training, adding: “my main aim of societies training is to explain alternative funding methods.”
Finally he explained that some societies had been given funding because the YUSU process for distributing grant allocations took into account the need of a society for particular items and the current state of the society’s own finances.
However, not all societies have been seriously affected, though still feel that a lack of funds is restrictive for the society.

The treasurer of DramaSoc, Sarah Lewis, said that “we got our usual grant, and we’re quite a unique case because we have a weekly income from our performances. “With our grant we had ideas about doing a lot of refurbishment, but didn’t get enough. The YUSU grant is only keeping us ticking over for another year.” She also indicated that other performance societies may have difficulties in the coming year, “Central Hall Musical Society are particularly struggling because of Jekyl and Hyde, and YUSU will probably have to help them.”