Sam Asfahani: A word from your President

York sport is all of our sports clubs, our members and our York Sport Committee. We’re here to make sure anyone at York can play any standard of sport they wish too. And although that isn’t an easy task, we do have 57 sports clubs available to our students, making us one of the largest athletic unions in the country

York sport is all of our sports clubs, our members and our York Sport Committee.

We’re here to make sure anyone at York can play any standard of sport they wish too. And although that isn’t an easy task, we do have 57 sports clubs available to our students, making us one of the largest athletic unions in the country.

You can find us on the pitches, in the sports centre, on the water and even in the air. You can also find nearly all of us out on Wednesday night.

The important thing is to give this a go. Not only does it give you the chance to represent your University up and down the country, but sport also gives you close friends and a great social life.

Just check out a Wednesday night in Ziggy’s. Beyond this we also run our successful College Sport where you can represent your college at thirteen different league sports as well as several one-day tournaments throughout the year.

College Sport is all about having a laugh with your mates and it’s all on campus, and all free!

But we don’t only provide all this, we also work hard to ensure sport is progressing and forward thinking at York.

Keep an eye out this year for major projects we have led or been part of. These include the multi-million pound Sports Village opening in July 2012 on Hes East, work to create a Coaching Network , increasing our funding to volunteering and international scholarships as well as much more.

On top of all this each year we face off against our rivals from Lancaster in the biggest inter university sports tournament in Europe – Roses.

This year we head away from home to defend the Carter-James trophy and we hope that many of you will be there to join us.
Just keep an eye on www.yusu.org or our fantastic student media for more news on
these kind of projects.

Chances to get involved are everywhere, best bet is to pop down to Fresher’s Fair on Saturday Week 1 in the Sports Centre to meet the clubs, or just drop them an email.

Until then, welcome to York, enjoy your Freshers Week, and I look forward to running into you, probably on the sports fields or on a night out!