New YUSU building delayed until January

THE YUSU student centre is facing long delays until completion leaving the Sabbatical Officers set up in temporary offices in the James Upper JCR until the Spring Term.

The new offices, situated in James College in place of the old McQ’s bar, were due for completion by the start of the autumn term, but builders are now contracted until Christmas with the new space not set to open until January.
As one of the 2011 YUSU Sabbatical pledges was to “ensure that your elected representatives are making you aware of what we are doing” some students have voiced worries that being located in non-visible offices will affect communication between students and YUSU.
Last term Tim Ngwena, the previous YUSU President, said the building aimed to make it “easier for students to see their officers both part time and full time.”

But Rob Carruthers, a fourth-year Music student, commented about the impact the delay in building work will have on the crucial first term for freshers, stating that is in “a pretty obscure location.”
He continued: “Even though they’re still reachable by email and phone, the lack of a centralised office will surely make things more difficult for freshers who have just arrived.”
However Tim Ellis, YUSU President, stated that while their temporary location “isn’t ideal,” YUSU will be working to ensure that their new locations are “as well signposted as possible.”

He also added that they will be making extra efforts “to get out of the offices as a team” with weekly appearances every Thursday at Heslington East campus. Adding that this would allow students to voice their concerns and “give YUSU a much needed presence there.”
Harriet Carr, a second-year English student, said that it sounded “promising” that more consultation session with students were taking place which would hopefully “raise their [YUSU’s] profile” around campus.

YUSU contributed £500,000 to the new student centre with the University making up the rest of the £2.2million cost.
Once completed, the building will extend forwards into the car park space, and backwards towards the old McQ’s bar – which has been moved to the Roger Kirk Centre. The main aim was to make it easier for students to see their elected student officers both part time and full time.
Janes College are losing McQs to make way for this, although they will receive preferential treatment at the newly opened Lounge bar, to make way for the new building.