New RAG shop raises over £1000 in first week open

A NEW YUSU RAG initiative is selling kitchen equipment left by last year’s freshers to new and current students, with items such as pots, pans, utensils, and others up for sale.

The ‘Big Green Clean’ shop, above Costcutter’s in Market Square, opened its doors for the first time on Tuesday 4th October, raising over £500 in its first two days and has subsequently raised over £1000.

James Croydon, YUSU Activities Officer, commented: “Whether you’ve forgotten all your forks, or you just fancy travelling light and getting all your equipment when you arrive, then the shop is for you.”

Willis stated that at the start, “I think I was a bit naïve,” adding, “I had hoped to raise about a grand in total, but as you can see the shop is rammed out there.” Pots and pans are being sold for two pounds each and crockery items for between fifty pence to a pound.
“At the end of last term we asked people living on campus to leave the things they didn’t want in bin bags, and this is what we got. I’m starting to stagger all the good stuff so that when all the first-years arrive at the weekend they won’t be left with a load of rubbish,”
Becky Mursell, RAG Ents Officer, commented: “I don’t know why it hasn’t been done before.
“It has been amazing for RAG – giving a boost to our totals before term has even started while for the forgetful student (or those who aren’t able to bring their kitchen stuff with them) we can kit their kitchen out and at a price that won’t break the bank.”
The idea for the shop was conceived by YUSU RAG Officers Baxter Willis and Rebecca Irwin and committee members James Croydon and Laura Borisovaite, and has been staffed by student volunteers.
RAG’s next event will be the Viking Raid in week two this term and tickets for this have almost sold out.

1. 11 Oct ’11 at 1:34 pm

The Campus Putin

Becky Mursell, RAG Ents Officer, commented: “I don’t know why it hasn’t been done before.”

It has. Just not with an actual building.