Freshers’ Trials Information

Get yourself acquainted with where you need to be, when you need to be there and what you need to bring with our comprehensive list of Freshers Trials

Get yourself acquainted with where you need to be, when you need to be there and what you need to bring with our comprehensive list (excluding only those clubs that haven’t replied to our email!) of Freshers Trials, accompanied by a slideshow of last year’s Roses tournament – lovely stuff.

If you can’t find your club, head to www.yusu.org/sport, email ‘nameofclub’@yusu.org or find them at the Freshers’ Fair, Saturday Week 1, the 15th October.

American Football – We have our first Freshers training session the day after the Freshers Fair (Sunday 16th October) behind the Sports Tent at 1pm. We also have a Freshers trial session on Wednesday 19th October in the same place starting at 2pm.

Athletics – The Athletics club does not have any trials. Everyone is welcome to
come along on Tuesday 18th October at 6.30pm, Thursday 20th October at 5.30pm or Sunday 23rd October at 11am. There are also weekly track sessions on a Wednesday.

Badminton – Week 1, Sunday 16th October 2011. Venue: Main Hall

9:00am women’s (all surnames)
10:00am men’s (surnames A-G)
11:00am men’s (surnames H-R)
12:00 men’s (surnames S-Z)
1:30pm call backs (or later depending on court availability)

Mixed trials by invitation only

Basketball – Our trials are on Sunday 16th October at 4.30 in the tent for guys, starter session for girls is at 3 o’clock same day, same place.

Boat – The first meeting is on Monday 17th October at 7.30 in D/056.

Boxing – The Boxing club’s first open training sessions wil be: Tuesday 18th October 20:30 – 22:00 and Thursday 20th October 17:00 – 18:00 in the Dance Studio and the first two training sessions will be free to new members.

Canoe – The Canoe Club will be holding our ‘Freshers’ Paddle’ on Sunday Week 1 on Heslington East Lake, near the Ron Cooke Hub. We have not yet confirmed times, but will likely be “all day”. It is a chance for beginners to try out our sport and to meet the club.

Cheerleading (York Hornets) – Sunday 16th Otcober – 11.00-13.00 in LN028. Thursday 20th October – 18.45-20.45 in LN028. Friday 21st October – 16.30-1830 in the Sports Centre

The taster sessions are open to anyone who is interested in trying out cheer and no experience or ability is necessary, we’ll be going over all the basics in a really relaxed environment so we’d love anyone who wants to see what is involved to come along.

Cricket – The first men’s cricket sessions will be Tuesday 18th October at 3.30 and Friday 21st October at 2.30 (Week 2) in the Sports Hall for 2 hours, then weekly at the same times.

Fencing – Our beginners’ course starts on Tuesday 18th October (week 2), which Freshers are welcome to come along to if they haven’t fenced before. This is held at 8 pm in the Tent, until 10 pm.

We don’t run formal trials for the teams, experienced fencers wishing to fence for the teams should come along to any of our training sessions (Tuesday 18th October 8pm-10pm in the tent, Thursday 20th October 8pm-10pm in the tent, Saturday 22nd October 11-1 pm in the dance studio, all commencing week 1) and make themselves known to the team captains: myself, Paul or Louise for the men’s 1st team, men’s 2nd team and women’s team respectively. We will then assess their abilities by having bouts with them or observing their bouts.

Football (Men’s) – Freshers’ trials will run every day during Freshers’ week, meeting at the Sports Centre at 1.45. All keen should look out for posters and flyers on campus, check our website, check our Facebook page, or ask anyone wearing UYAFC merchandise for updates. There will be 4 final pre-season friendlies against Sheffield Uni on the day of Freshers’ Fair, which will be a good test of where we stand. The teams for these games are picked during trial week so a good chance for many to get stuck in early. All welcome and encouraged to come down and watch to 22 Acres: 2pm, Saturday 15th October.

Futsal – Our Freshers trials will be Sunday Week 1 (16th October) from 7-10pm in the tent and Monday Week 2 (17th October) 8-10pm in the tent.

Hockey – Freshers’ Trials will be at the JLD (astroturf) at the following times during Freshers’ week:

MEN’S – Wednesday 12th October, 2-3.30pm. Sunday 16th October, 3.30-5pm

WOMEN’S- 3.30-5pm Wednesday 12th October, 3.30-5pm. Sunday 16th October, 2-3.30pm.

The Hockey Club will be at the Freshers’ Fair (as will all the sports clubs) and they will also have hockey on show on the JLD throughout the day.

All abilities are welcomed, and if players pay their subs by the 31st October they get entered into our draw to win tickets for the hockey at the Olympics.

Judo – The Judo Club doesn’t have Freshers trials as such – our competitions are later in the academic year and so our teams are selected from those who come to our normal sessions. These start on Tuesday the 18th of October and continue as below for the rest of term:

Tuesday 18th October
6:30 – 8:30pm in the Derwent Performance Studio

Sunday 23rd October
6 – 8pm in the Derwent Performance Studio

Karate – There’s no trials for the club, but we have a Freshers stand and training will begin in Week 2, in the Sports hall on Monday and Saturday, and the dance studio on Wednesday.

Times are below: –
Monday 17th October: 18:45 to 20:15
Wednesday 19th October: 18:00 to 19:45
Saturday 22nd October: 14:00 to 16:00

The first 3 training sessions are free, so everyone’s welcome to try it!

Kendo – Kendo is having its ‘official’ Freshers’ taster sessions on Monday Week 2 (17th October)in Derwent Squash Courts 19.30-21.30, and Saturday 22nd October in L/N/028 19.30-21.30, though of course every subsequent practice is a potential taster session!

Lacrosse – These are the women’s dates for freshers:

Fresher training times are during Week 2, you are all welcome to come along and have a chuck about!

Monday 17th October 3pm-5pm
Tuesday 18th October 3pm-4:30pm
Friday 21st October 1:30pm-3:30pm

The important session for you all is TRIALS : SATURDAY 22nd October at 2PM

The men’s:
Sunday 16th Otcober – 1pm
Monday 17th October – 3:30pm
Thursday 20th October – 3:30pm

TRIALS: Sunday 23rd October 1pm.

Netball – We have a preliminary trial on Wednesday 12th October from 11am-1pm. This is a chance for any freshers who are free to come along and play some netball before ‘official’ trials start. We want to get as many people there as possible; Sunday trials are extremely busy therefore court time is limited for players, so to increase your chances of getting more court time and showing us what you can do, its really important that you attend this session!

In the Sports Tent, trials are; Sunday 16th October, 4pm-6pm and Monday 17th October. Monday is for people asked to attend based on their previous performances so Wednesday and Sunday are imperitive.

Orienteering – We won’t be having trials as we welcome anyone and offer training for them. However, training is each Wednesday in the tent 6pm-7pm weeks 2-9. The club will also be running a taster session on the same day as Freshers’ Fair (Saturday 15th October) from 11am-2pm. This will be on the floodlit pitch behind the Sports Centre and it will be free for anyone to have a go.

Polo – York Polo Club will be holding a taster session for anybody interested in playing Polo on Wednesday 19th Oct at a Polo ground outside of York. Transport will be provided. Anybody who is interested should email the club – [email protected] beforehand as we need to know numbers. Those who miss the trial session do not need to fear. They are more than welcome to join in weekly lessons, and can find out more information about them by joining our mailing list.

Pool & Snooker – We’ll be running two events for Freshers in the first week of term.

These are: Freshers Only Pool Tournament @ Derwent Bar on Wednesday 12th October, Starting at 3pm

and

Pool & Snooker Practice @ Cueball Snooker Club starting on Sunday 16th of October from 1-4pm (meeting at Derwent Bar at 12.30pm to escort Freshers down), continuing every Sunday and Wednesday for the rest of the term. The session costs £1 for three hours of Pool.

Riding – We will be having team trials for A, B and reserve University teams. Teams consist of 4 people and the trials will all happen on Wednesday, Week 2 (19th) at our training centre – Snaiton Riding Centre.

If anyone wishes to attend they must fill in a questionnaire and email it back to [email protected] Questionnaires can be found on our website http://uyrc.wordpress.com/, or at Freshers’ fair, or on our Facebook page.

Transport to trials is provided; however, students will have to pay for a ‘Taster Membership’, which is £5. Also all students must have suitable footwear and clothing and preferably riding hats, however hats can be borrowed.

We are really excited to see all students interested, from Freshers to Phd students, no age group is discriminated against. Any further questions get in touch.

Rugby Union (men’s) – 12pm, Sunday Week 1 (16th October) on the 22 Acres.

Snowsports (YUsnow) – Our first training session will be on Monday the 17th of October. (TBC, check www.yusnow.co.uk)

Our first trip for lessons and recreational sessions will be on Wednesday 26th at Xscape in Castleford. Our first freestyle session will run with the lessons and recreational session on the 26th of October.

Our race and freestyle training is open to any competent skier or boarder, but we ask that everyone emails into us beforehand, or visits us at the Freshers’ Fair, so we know how many people to expect for transport. Our lessons and recreational sessions need to be booked in advance, this can be done at the Freshers’ Fair.

Swimming and Waterpolo – We are not holding specific trials but first training sessions are as follows: Monday – swimming 8-9pm, waterpolo 9-10pm. Wednesday – swimming 8-9pm, waterpolo 9-10pm

These sessions are very friendly and easy to be involved in. Swimming has 4 lanes of competitive swimming training and 2 lanes of casual swimming, so caters for everyone.

We train at Archbishop Holgate School (just next to the Black Bull pub) but will be meeting freshers half an hour before each session in Goodricke, Halifax and Vanbrugh stalls to walk you over to the pool.

Tennis – Ladies’ Team – Monday Week 2 (Monday 17th October) 6-8pm. Men’s Team – Tuesday Week 2 (Tuesday 18th October) 6-9pm

Trampolining – Freshers sessions start week 2: Tuesday 18th October 6.30-8.30pm, Thursday 20th October 8-10pm and Sunday 23rd October 8-10pm.

Ultimate Frisbee – The Ultimate Frisbee Freshers taster session is at 12.30 (until about half 2) on Sunday 16th October on 22 Acres, but we will meet people outside the Sports Centre. We are also doing a show/exhibition game on the Saturday 15th October at 4.30 on 22 Acres.

University of York Tai Chi Chuan Club – The first 2 sessions of Tai Chi are considered trial sessions and are always free regardless of when during the term you decide to join but our first 3 sessions this term will be specifically designed to introduce beginners to the art.

These sessions are:
6-8pm Wedneday the 19th in Derwent Squash Court.
9-11am Saturday the 22nd in James Hall
6-8pm Wednesday 26th in Derwent Squash Court

Volleyball – Our first open session/trial will be on Sunday week 1 (after Freshers’ Fair) 6pm-8pm for women and 8pm-10pm for men in the Sports Hall.

Women’s Football – Sunday 16th October. 2pm-4pm on the 22 Acres but we will be meeting at the Sports Centre entrance. Bring boots and shin pads if you have them, if not trainers, remember to wrap up warm too.

York’s other sports clubs include: Aikido, Archery, Ben Lairig, Canoe polo, Capoeira, Cave and Pothole Club, Clay Pigeon Shooting, Cycling, Floorball, Gliding, Golf, Gymnastics, Inline Hockey, Jiujitsu, Karting, Mixed Martial Arts, Mountaineering, Octopush, Women’s Rugby Union, Sailing and Windsurfing, Skydiving, Squash, Sub Aqua, Surf, Table Tennis and Taekwondo.

1. 10 Oct ’11 at 4:35 pm

Rebecca O'Dwyer

Netball Trial Information

Wednesday 12th, 11am-1pm: Preliminary Trials

Sunday 16th, 4pm-6pm: FIRST OFFICIAL TRIALS

Monday 17th 6pm-8pm: Call backs.

If you are around on Wednesday, please do come along to play, as Sunday trials are always really busy! All trials are held in the Sports Centre.

2. Just to say the first YUsnow race training session on the 17th of October has been confirmed. Please email us at [email protected] if you would like to attend.