LFW Interview with… Masc

Nouse looks behind the Masc and talks to the design duo on their latest collection

Designers Duncan Shaw and Belinda Yick combine to form the freshest minimal brand out there at present. Their label, Masc, takes inspiration from Japanese minimalism and mask-like mystery into draped and structured women’s wear silhouettes. Nouse caught up with the innovative duo to discuss aircraft wings, using acrylic in their clothes and who is their ideal woman.

Q/ You stick to a fairly limited colour palette, why is this?

A/ We are quite understated as a brand, so we like things that are wearable and work well with colour tones. So, it is not always these colours, but we like to keep it muted and colours that pop.

Q/ Why do you feel the need to incorporate clothes with jewellery?

A/ We think that it adds to our whole look, we are able to extend our brand identity onto other products. So it has the same pattern cutting lines that we use in the collection. They are all based on a wing shape.

Q/ What is the material you use for the jewellery?

A/ It is black acrylic 8 m thick.

Q/ What kind of a woman do you design for?

A/ Well, some of our stuff I would say is understated, so it is not all about flamboyance. A person with more of a timeless and effortless chic. That is the sort of woman we appeal to.

Q/ What is the silhouette and inspiration behind your designs?

A/ We looked at the elegance and geometry of aircraft wings. On one of our dresses we repeated them 50 times and they were inserted by hand.

Q/ Is this a source of inspiration you will stick with throughout designing or what is next?

A/ Our key DNA is armoured elegance with minimalism and we also like geometry, so this will progress. But it is our handwriting at the end of the day.

Q/ What fabrics have you used?

A/ There is 100% silk, crepe back satin, soft touch jersey.

Q/ Where did you both study?

A/ We both studied at Nottingham Trent University and then I went on to do my MA at the Institut Francais a la mode (Duncan Shaw) so we were both there for a year which was pretty cool.

Q/ Who would be your ideal celebrity or style icon to wear your clothes?

A/ Um, that is a difficult one! We would quite like Gwyneth Paltrow to wear it.