First ‘Live and Loud’ acts announced

YUSU have announced the first two acts for this year’s Freshers Ball as DJ Fresh and Rizzle Kicks.

The alternatively named ‘Live and Loud’ event will set students back £26 including an online booking fee. The event will continue last year’s trend of holding the Freshers Ball on campus, as opposed to the York Racecourse and will be held on Sunday October 16, the last day of Freshers Week.

DJ Fresh has had a UK number one single this summer with ‘Louder’, with previous hits from the drum and bass artist including ‘Gold Dust’.

Rizzle Kicks are a pop duo whose single ‘Down with the Trumpets’ featured in the UK single charts earlier this year.

YUSU is advertising three venues each with its own line-up, a silent disco, five bars and firework display from the lake next to Central Hall.

Last year’s Freshers Ball was criticised as a “Big Con” as YUSU did not advertise the fact that Central Hall had a capacity of only 900, while approximately 2,300 tickets were bought. YUSU will announce which acts will be playing on which stages nearer to the event.

Queues had formed before the headline act came on stage, meaning that many ticket holders were unable to see Marina and the Diamonds due to a ‘one-in-one-out’ system to Central Hall.

Further acts for Live and Loud are to be released by YUSU over the coming weeks.

1. Very impressed! Well done YUSU.

2. These guys are a good shout, as long as they’ve got a few bigger acts lined up. Unless they got these guys booked a good 6+ months back, they will have paid a huge premium on what they’re really worth, cos the booking agents know they can get away with ripping people (and especially uni fresher’s events) off. Just because they’re a name, doesn’t make them any good. Saying that, it will probably mean they sell out.

3. Will students below 18 be allowed to attend this event?

4. Sofia – Yes. All York students on any age can attend YUSU events they buy a ticket for, you just aren’t allowed to drink.

5. I can’t say for certain, but usually they allow under 18s in with a different coloured wristband so that they can’t buy alcohol but can still attend – email [email protected] and YUSU President will get back to you promptly, the lovely lad that he is :) And then post it here so he doesn’t get hundreds of emails :P

6. I’m sure that Tim will really appreciate you giving out his personal email address there Jason. Maybe try ‘[email protected]’ instead.