York Fashion Crawl

Planning to hit the town with force an empty wardrobe and a bank card? With a student budget probably not, but no matter: even if you’re just out for a browse, gives you the low down on what York has to offer shops-wise

An interesting and diverse high street offering the usual high street stores such as H&M, Zara, Next, Oasis, New Look and TKMax. If you’re looking for something a little different and want to diverge from the mainstream style the high street shops have to offer Goodramgate, Micklegate, Low Petergate and York Road are home to a number of decent charity shops which have homed into the vintage craze providing vintage sections to their shops. If you’re feeling peckish after spending all your pennies Newgate market sits between The Shambles and Parliament Street where you can pick up something to eat including curry, pizza or an ostrich burger.

MUST SEE- By the end of the first term most students will have sussed out the shops that will be their friend for the next three plus years. York caters well for its students in terms of vintage clothing and typical high street stores- if you go nowhere else make sure you pop into these must see stores.

York Designer Outlet *****
Saint Nicholas Avenue, Fulford, York, North Yorkshire, York YO19 4TA
Price range- £5-1000+ (Discounts of up to 60% in majority of stores)

A slightly further distance from the university than York high street but worth the trip for discounted designer clothing. A day trip to the gigantic shopping centre will not let you down offering high street stores such as Next, Animal and Gap through to specific brands such as Ralph Lauren, Levi, Nike, Paul Smith, Armani and Kurt Geiger. Frequent bus services including ‘The Red Line Park’ and ‘Ride Bus’ operate from York railway station, the number seven bus can be caught at the front of the station-£1.90 single or £3 return. Food court upstairs.

Purple Haze ****
52 Fossgate, York, YO1 9TF
Price range- £10-£100

Guaranteed to satisfy any vintage fix. Offering a system of rummage and find, you’re sure to find a treasure in this quaint little shop. Cosy and dim lit makes it ideal for a quite rummage. Best for Ray-Bans, sporting bags, knitted jumpers. Changing rooms available.

Deep ****
26 Fossgate, City Centre, York YO1 9TA
Price range- £15-£150

Providing a modern shopping experience whilst offering a wide selection of vintage clothing items, you can be assured to find a piece in Deep. Take notice of their non-authentic vintage range of t-shirts, skirts and dresses though. Watch out for 1940 cotton dresses, leather suitcases, chinos, jeans and checked shirts. A well selected range of clothing for both men and women. No refunds. Changing rooms available.

Topshop *****
2-3 Coppergate, York, North Yorkshire YO1 9NR
Price range- £5-£200

Two storey shop allowing for the more unique Topshop ranges and collections to be displayed, offering an exciting change from the usual pieces and designs. Watch out for the large shoe section, racks of accessories and busy annual season sales. Topman located upstairs.

DESERVES A VISIT – A great thing about York is its diverse range of shops offering a varied scale of prices, quality and fashion to suit all. Some stores may just become a place for inspiration such as the high end fashion stores and others might become your second home in which you hold a loyalty card.

Vivienne Westwood ***
10 Blake Street, York, North Yorkshire YO1 8QG
Price range- £100-£3000+

Standing as more of an art gallery than place to shop in the centre of the town, the Vivienne Westwood store offers her latest collections for the high fashion follower to ogle. The display windows are worth a walk past but the student loan may not stretch to allow for an actual purchase. Do watch out for their February sale where you may just be able to walk out the store with a rightfully smug face and a pair of shoes or some other wacky garment from as much as 80% below the original price.

Sarah Coggles ***
91-93 Low Petergate, York, North Yorkshire YO1 7HY
Price range- £100-£1000+

It must be said that York treats its shoppers to great sources of high end fashion, one of them being Sarah Coggles. Home to a selection of designer clothing including Paul Smith, Vivienne Westwood and Chloe- to name a few. Warning- hours may be spent aimlessly admiring the displays and amazing clothing that makes you feel like you’ve walked into more of a house of art than fashion store.

Office ***
3-9 Coney Street, York YO1 9QL
Price range- £20-£200

A snug but well stocked store offering a wide range of quality shoes at affordable prices. A reliable place to dress your feet, you can choose from boots and wellies in the cold York winter months through to strappy sandals and espadrilles in the summer. Also offers trainers, converse, high heels and wedges. Watch out for the good selection of Toms shoes.

H&M ***
3 Spurriergate, York YO1 9NJ
Price range- £10-£90

A two storey branch packed full of a diverse range of garments and accessories at student friendly prices. The well organised shop floors are divided into different collections and trends and further into jeans, accessories and hosiery allowing you to separate the tat from the gems. A good men’s section upstairs.

Zara ***
1 Spurriergate, York YO1 9QR
Price range- £20-£200

Lives up to its usual package of quality clothing that closely follows fashion trends at affordable prices. Take notice of the quick turnaround of stock- assistants are happy to help order stock advertised online if not available in the store. A good men’s section upstairs.

Miss Selfridge **
Coppergate Shopping Centre, 1 Coppergate Walk, City Centre, York YO1 9NT
Price range- £10-£90

Located above Topshop sharing the second level floor with Topman, York’s Miss Selfridge is a decent sized store offering the usual stock of clothes, accessories and shoes.

NOT WORTH THE WALK- There aren’t many disappointments with regards to York’s high street but there are a few that you may want to give a miss.

TKMax *
Price range- £10-£400+

Usually a place not to miss in every decent high street, York fails to satisfy the hunger of the avid TKMax shopper. Those who thrive in the upper market jumble sale feeling that TKMax has to offer may be let down by the lack of quality stock. Clothing rails are sparsely placed and fail to fill the large floor space adding to the lack of excitement in the typically treasure trove like shop. Offers womenswear, menswear, shoes, accessories and home wear. However, if you really are a hard core TKMaxer and are up for the challenge York sets you may just find a diamond in the rough.