The Sabbatical Team

Short interviews with members of the sabbatical YUSU team 2011

A little introduction to some of our sabbatical officers…

Tim Ellis, President

A little known fact about myself: I’m fairly obsessed by the film Jurassic Park. I have seen it a ridiculous amount of times, can reel off any of the best quotes and have even taught myself how to play the theme on piano and guitar. If you haven’t seen it, watch it and be amazed at what you can do with an old fossilised mosquito and a frog.

My favourite thing about York: is the town itself. It’s big enough to have everything you want from a city yet small enough so that you can easily walk from one end to the other and know your way around. On top of that it has some of the best bars and restaurants in the country! (There’s also Mr. Sandwich where you can get the best £1 sandwich in the country).

This Freshers Week I’m most looking forward to: meeting as many new students as possible. After spending the last two months on a fairly empty campus its going to be great having it full again. I’m particularly excited about seeing the Freshers’ Weeks and Fortnights being put on by the colleges and looking at their timetables there’s going to be some pretty good events going on!

As I Sabbatical Officer I hope to: One of the main things I want to achieve is actually having a collegiate system at York that is actively supported, both by YUSU and the university. Colleges do so much, but have the potential to do so much more and this year we want to enable JCRCs as much as possible both through financial support and through a greater provision of resources. Secondly, I’m hoping to end the year with a Union that has been responsive and active. We should be at the forefront of campaigns, not an organisation that quickly jumps on the band wagon. I hope we can be the body that people naturally look to when things need fighting for and finally we need to communicate more effectively with our members about what we are campaigning for and what we are achieving.

Sam Asfahani, York Sport President

A little known fact about myself: Pocahontas is my hero.

My favourite thing about York: Ziggy’s (aka Mansion Wednesdays) – that dirty basement has given me for too few memories over the years.

This Freshers Week I’m most looking forward to: the Sports Fayre – good to see all the clubs coming together. Then loads of people signing up to play sport at any level.

As I Sabbatical Officer I hope to: Would love to nab an away Roses win. But mostly would love to leave York having got rid of York Sport Membership, something people have been complaining about for years.

Bob Hughes, Welfare Sabbatical Officer

A little known fact about myself: I own pretty much every Kate Bush song ever made, including B-sides. I am really cool, honest.

My favourite thing about York: I really love Museum Gardens – in the Summer, I could just spend days there! And if we’re talking the University, I am a little bit in love with the Quiet Place!

This Freshers Week I’m most looking forward to: meeting all the new students and hearing their ideas about what they want to see at York!

As I Sabbatical Officer I hope to: achieve a much more continuous and focused campaign on mental wellbeing throughout the year to help create a culture of talking openly about feelings and helping student all over campus; and I want to see much more exciting and creative ways of delivering our campaigns, from videos to events to interactive projects.

James Croydon, Student Activities Sabbatical Officer

A little known fact about myself: I believe Mrs Doubtfire to be the finest film to have graced the earth.

My favourite thing about York: I love how everyone knows each other.

This Freshers Week I’m most looking forward to: everyone getting involved at Freshers Fair.

As I Sabbatical Officer I hope to: get everyone having as good a time at uni as I did, and I will strive to improve my cheesy answers to Newspaper reporters.

Graeme Osborn, Academic Affairs Sabbatical Officer

A little known fact about myself: I have a twin brother at Lancaster University

My favourite thing about York: the campus and city are just really nice places.

This Freshers Week I’m most looking forward to: meeting new students.

As I Sabbatical Officer I hope to: get a 24 hour library, and a university and union well prepared for the fee increases.