Hungry? A blitzed kitchen guide

Your typical student kitchen...

Your typical student kitchen...

Hungry?

Here is the basic kitchen cupboard to help you get started with cooking at University. It’s not supposed to be a Marmite selection (foods you love or hate), just a stock pile of simple ingredients that you’ll use everyday for most dishes.

Vegetable oil
Garlic
Onions
Chilli
Rosemary/thyme/oregano
Salt and Pepper
Soy sauce
Worcester sauce
Ketchup
Balsamic vinegar
Curry paste
Pesto
Canned tomatoes
Canned tuna

Ideas for Carbs

Use a sweet potato instead of a normal one for different Jacket potato. Or slice up with skin on, toss in olive oil, put in baking tray at 200c for 45 mins for sweet pot chips.

Add mustard to mashed potatoes. Just boil sliced potatoes for 15 mins and then mash with a fork with a splash of milk, and a huge knob of butter.

For egg fried rice, boil the rice, then put into a frying pan, add stir fried vegetables, soy sauce, and then literally just crack an egg over the top and stir quickly to stop it scrambling.

Ideas for Meat and Fish

Buy a gammon ham, season, and smother with honey and mustard, then loosely wrap in tin foil, bake for 45 minutes, then open the foil up, smother with honey again and open bake for a further 20 minutes for a delicious glaze.

Roast a chicken. It’s so much tastier and better value. Literally just stick it on a roasting tray and shove a pricked lemon up the cavity. Season with salt and pepper, dowse in olive oil and a bit of oregano and roast for 50 minutes.

Buy fish other than salmon and tuna, like daub and mackerel. Try with a thai green curry.

Smear a stock cube or marmite over a chicken breast, and pan fry for a delicious marinade.

Ideas for Veg

Try boiling or frying red cabbage with raisins and a splash of apple juice.

Roast veg. Slice up red peppers, onions, courgettes, aubergine, carrots and garlic cloves. Place in roasting tray. Slather with olive oil and salt. Oven for 40 mins.

Stir fry bean sprouts, mushrooms, spring onions, chilli and spinach.

Cut a squash in half lengthways. Drizzle with olive oil and season, and roast for half an hour.