Goodricke College

As the most recently built college, Goodricke is in the process of forming its own identity. It has neither the party-going attitude of Derwent, nor the quiet and reclusive feel of Alcuin. In fact, it falls both inside and outside of those extreme parameters. What you can guarantee is that you will meet a diverse range of people at Goodricke, some of whom will become friends for life.

One aspect of the college that people are very sceptical about is the fact that it resides on a separate campus, Heslington East. However, this is usually the attitude of ‘outsiders’ and Goodrickers generally take pride in and full advantage of the shiny, new facilities on Heslington East that few other students even know about! Overall, toastie nights and film nights in the JCR, as well as frequent college events make Goodricke a fun and friendly college.

The prospectus missed out: There aren’t many downsides to living in Goodricke, BUT there are a few nevertheless. The main issue is socialising. Flats are obviously breeding grounds for meeting new people, what with all the walking up and down stairs involved, but if you’re in a house then you miss out on that side of things. The second issue is security which, though great for protecting our belongings, means that we can’t roam freely about our college, use our balconies, or open our ground-floor windows wider than two inches. Finally, WE HAVE NO COLLEGE BAR.

Favourite college hangouts:

When those kitchen chairs become too hard to bear, the JCR and GCR are there offering comfort and entertainment in the form of sofas, board games, wide-screen TVs, video games, films, a piano, and toasties (only on a Wednesday between 10:30pm and 3am). In the summer the quads fill with people chatting, sunbathing, having BBQs, even playing ping-pong or cooling off in paddling pools!

Facilities:

Junior and Graduate Common rooms
Laundry room (£2.20 wash, £1.00 dry)
Ron Cooke Hub – with cafe and vending machines
Printers and computers in the Hub and GCR
Undercover and indoor bike sheds in each court
Bookable study pods on the lake outside the Hub

Mythbuster: “It takes ages to get to main campus”. It’s actually two minutes by bus, four minutes by bike, and fifteen by foot.

Stereotypical student: isolated rahs, alongside Alcuin known as the ‘Ensuite Elite’

Best Freshers event: Best event of rest of the year: Goodfest. The one-day festival with live music, food, drink, an inflatable obstacle course, circus tricks, and a bucking bronco.

Best freshers event: the first night block party that encourages you to meet everyone from the College and settle in before hurtling off around the city for the rest of the week

Elizabeth Maciver, Accounting Business Finance and Management

Pro: People-watching through the giant kitchen window.
Con: People watching you through the giant kitchen window.

Sophie Ball, Environmental Geography

Pro: Nice, new accommodation.
Con: Not enough areas to socialise e.g. a bar. Plus, it’s a bit far from the supermarkets although the Asda bus is really useful.

“We have the best accommodation and amazing common rooms. We are the first College on Hes East meaning that our students are closer than a wolf pack; we have successful sports teams, an approachable College Welfare Team and a hardworking JCRC that delivers results.”

Goodricke Chair – Nacho Hernando