College Sport at York

Whilst York may not be a national leader in sport at university level, one thing it does have in its favour is the College Sport system. This gives all students ample opportunity to play meaningful, competitive sport at a level which suits them

Image: Peter Iveson

Image: Peter Iveson

Whilst York may not be a national leader in sport at university level, one thing it does have in its favour is the College Sport system. This gives all students ample opportunity to play meaningful, competitive sport at a level which suits them.

Most sports are played so if you’re wondering whether you’ll get the chance to represent your college in your chosen sport speak to the sports rep in your JCRC or ask your styc (second or third year contact).

Football is one of the most popular sports at college level. Come rain or shine expect to see hardy souls battling it down to the 22 Acres (the sports pitches) to blow away the cobwebs of their hangover and fight for their college. Last year saw Goodricke win the first term’s league, Derwent win the second term’s league and Halifax take the more prestigious College Cup in the summer term.

College football is played all year but the crescendo is very much the summer term’s College Cup. It is the culmination of the college football calendar as hard Sunday morning slogs turn into midweek matches on the astroturf with all college teams in the competition. Last year Vanbrugh turned out four teams which is a testament to the accessibility of college football regardless of performance level.

The cap on the amount of University first players is lifted (two per week during the autumn and winter terms) and over the course of eight weeks York’s very own World Cup is played out. Check back with Nouse in the summer to pick your Fantasy Football team – yes, people really do get that involved.

College Rugby is also contested with varying degrees of intensity by each college with James, Alcuin and Derwent traditionally the strongest teams. Last year Derwent did the double, taking the League and Cup crowns. There tends to be less people involved with College Rugby, perhaps owing to the fact it has to be played off-campus, meaning that a college can usually muster up only one team if at all but there is still a thriving, competitive scene to become a part of.

Elsewhere the College Netball league is keenly contested each Sunday in the sports tent and last year College Hockey experienced a resurgence with regular scheduled matches. As well as netball and hockey there are also college opportunities for badminton, volleyball, lacrosse, darts and many more. At the end of the year there’s also a College Sports Day which goes towards the College Sports points.

Last year it was Halifax, renowned traditionally as the sporty college, who won the College Sport Trophy. When you come to York, get involved and help your college win the trophy – it’s better than essays!